20020619: SSEC McIDAS2002 and trace

>From: Rita Edwards <address@hidden>

Hi Rita,

>I have a user on a SGI system (IRIX 6.5 O/S) accessing the new
>McIDAS 2002.

Since I have not released the Unidata version of V2002, you must be using
the SSEC one.  The solution to your problem is listed at the end of this
email.

>System information:
>#uname -a
>IRIX64 beast 6.5 07151432 IP27
>
>Although she is not setting TRACE, this version is creating a
>trace file.  Indications are TRACE is being set when her scripts
>access aputserv.fp.
>
>Top of trce file:
>APUTSERV: istraceset returns           1
>APUTSERV   1:MCIDAS AREA 9994 9994 TRACE=1
>APUTSERV   1:MASK is
>APUTSERV   1:MCIDAS AREA 9994 9994 TRACE=1
>APUTSERV   1:MCIDAS AREA 9994 9994 TRACE=1
>APUTSERV   1:MCIDAS AREA 9994 9994 TRACE=1
>
>Source code aputserv.fp:
>C - - READ REQUEST HEADER
>      istat = m0sxgetclientrequest(j,reqst)
>
>      istat = m0istraceset(reqst)
>      write(b,*) 'APUTSERV: istraceset returns',istat
>      call m0sxtrce(b)
>
>McIDAS7.803 did not create the file.  I have told her to
>modify her scripts to explictly set TRACE=0.  However, it would
>be nice not to have to modify all the scripts for all the
>users.
>
>Is it possible that IRIX is returning a negative value
>(or perhaps NULL) for the non-declared variable in
>the following line:
>
>istat=m0istraceset(reqst)
>
>Looking at the addefunc.c code this would cause TRACE to
>be turned on.
>
>The addefunc.c source code comments indicate the following:
>*| Remarks:
>*|    If TRACE= is not specified the return value is 0.
>*|
>*|    If TRACE= is not zero tracing will be turned on. If TRACE=0
>*|    tracing will be turned off
>
>Of course, I am just guessing.  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated!

SSEC McIDAS-X V2002 already has a Fastrack addendum.  The reason for the
addendum -- as listed in the documentation for the Fastrack Software
Changes:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mug/changes2002a.txt

is:

     Modules released 10-JUN-02 in version 2002a
11739 imgremap.pgm 1.74       TRACE=1 was inadvertently left in the
                              code, which was causing a 'trce'
                              file to grow in user accounts
                              running IMGREMAP. The 'trce' file is
                              no longer being automatically created by
                              IMGREMAP.

So, I am guessing that your user is using the IMGREMAP command, and you
are running the SSEC V2002 release without the addendum.  The solution
is to download the incremental update to V2002 or the rerelease of
V2002 and install the mods or rebuild the entire distribution.

Please let me know if the problem you user found is not the one that
has already been caught and fixed!  Thanks...

>Thanks for all the help,

No worries.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Wed Jun 19 09:58:08 2002
>Subject: Re: 20020619: SSEC McIDAS2002 and trace

Thanks again,

I really appreciate the patience and help...
I guess it would have been easier not to debug,
and to have just waited!  However, I always
start with my configuration first. I would rather
find my mistakes myself!

Thanks again,
Rita