20020719: McIDAS-X & XCD

>From: "Fingerhut, William A" <address@hidden>

Bill,

>I am trying to track down several problems after installing mcidasx 7.8
>on our new server, foxfire.

Several problems?  This doesn't sound good...

>After installing and configuring xcd, the next time I started mcidas as
>the user mcidas I found an error message in the text window (which I
>did not write down, but could reproduce if you need it) from a 'startup
>script'. It may have been from mcgui. Anyway, I found that the
>redirections were xcd.nam  . For some reason I decided to restore
>local.nam , and the error did not occur in new mcidas sessions.

If McIDAS-X and XCD are installed and configured in the order that
I setup in the online documentation, REDIRECTions for XCD should be
made in addition to those you setup for your site.  Quickly, the
order of events is:

o create local copy of example file REDIRECTions by copying
  ~mcidas/data/EXAMPLE.NAM to ~mcidas/data/LOCAL.NAM.  Then edit
  ~mcidas/data/LOCAL.NAM to set the directory locations of the various
  files

o before going on to installing and confguring XCD, make the REDIRECTions
  in LOCAL.NAM active for the user 'mcidas'

o during the XCD installation process, the BATCH file XCD.BAT will be run.
  This is the script that sets some REDIRECTions for XCD.  These
  REDIRECTions will be in addition to the ones from LOCAL.NAM as long
  as the LOCAL.NAM REDIRECTions were made active.

>Although this may seem like a non-issue, it is important to me because
>I am having trouble with another problem which might be related to this
>situation.  What should mcidas's redirections be after configuring xcd?

They should be all of the REDIRECTions set from LOCAL.NAM plus any additional
ones set from running 'BATCH XCD.BAT'.

>Are any redirections missing from the version of xcd.nam created by
>the distribution?

Yes.  I think that the above explanation will shed light on this.

Tom