20020729: Data sets - 69760

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

>Our Meteo dept has requested the following data sets:
>
>        Surface observations
>        Upper air data (radiosondes)
>        Aircraft data
>        Ship and buoy data
>        Satellite Data
>        Model data
>                NGM
>                ETA
>                Aviation
>                RUC
>                NOGAPS
>                Other?
>        Radar data
>        Lightning data
>        Profiler data
>
>What is the easiest way to find out if we are getting such data?

Here are the steps that you can use with the MCGUI to answer your data
availability question:

1) First, bring up a McIDAS-X session that runs the MCGUI:

mcidas config

<select the radiobutton that says to automatically start the MCGUI; also
select the radiobutton that says to save configuration options in the
defaults file>

2) once McIDAS is up with the MCGUI, click on the Client Routing Table
   Config button on the first row of buttons (this is the button just
   to the right of the button with the Z)

3) make sure that aeolus.valpo.edu (your ADDE server) is as the
   ADDE Server in both the GRID and POINT tabs.  After doing this,
   click on Update and Exit.

4) Now, click on the Information drop down at the top of the MCGUI
   and select:

   Data Availability -> POINT Data

   This will popup a widget that allows you to see the list of
   data files for each type of POINT observation you are interested
   in.

I followed the list above and got the following:

PTLIST RTPTSRC/AIRCRAFT FORM=FILE ALL
Pos      Description                        Schema  NRows NCols Proj# Created
DataDate
------   --------------------------------   ------  ----- ----- ----- -------
--------
     9   PIREP/AIREP data for 28 JUL 2002   PIRP       24  1500     0 2002208
2002209
    10   PIREP/AIREP data for 29 JUL 2002   PIRP       24  1500     0 2002209
2002210
PTLIST: Done

So, you need to select the datasets for each of the data in the list you
specified above:

SFCHOURLY   ->   Surface observations
UPPERMAND   ->   Upper air data (radiosondes)
AIRCRAFT    ->   Aircraft data
SHIPBUOY    ->   Ship and buoy data
LIGHTNING   ->   Lightning data
PROF6MIN    ->   6-minute Profiler data
PROFHOURLY  ->   hourly summary Profiler data

>        Satellite Data
>        Radar data

The procedure for finding out what Model data (GRID) you have is
accomplished in the same way as that for POINT data, just select GRID
Data instead of POINT Data.

When I looked at aeolus, I fond that you are decoding NGM, MRF, RUC (MAPS),
ETA, AVN, and Miscellaneous (your Other?) grid data.

The procedure is the same for IMAGE data, just select IMAGE Data instead
of POINT Data or GRID Data.

>From address@hidden Mon Jul 29 14:29:30 2002

>What sort of tools are available for archiving data from McIDAS?

Nothing other than the normal Unix commands: ar, tar, etc.

>From address@hidden Mon Jul 29 14:31:35 2002

>From what I can tell, our current version of McIDAS (7.8) does not
>allowing printing from the GUI.  Is that the case?

That is correct.

>If so, then when might it become available?

Perhaps in V2002, but it may have to wait until an addendum for 2002.
I am trying to release V2002 by the end of the day on Thursday.

>If not, then please advise of patches or configuration changes that are
>needed.

You can always save the contents of a display to a PostScript file using
the MCGUI.  Once the PS file exists, you then need to send it out to
your PostScript printer using lpr.

Tom