20020730: McIDAS-X 2002 installation problem

>From:  mcidas <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I downloaded and built mcidas-x 2002 using gcc and f77 compilers.

I hope you noticed that the V2000 distribution is not officially
ready for download :-o)  I am still changing code in preparation for
its release.

>The build when fine, without any errors.

What OS are you working on (just interested)?  (provide the output of
'uname -a')

>But when I went to install mcidas
>using "make install.mcxall" I get this error -
>
>--------below-----------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
>
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mcidas/mcidas2002/netcdf`
>Not making `cxx/install` because no C++ compiler
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mcidas/mcidas2002/netcdf`

This does not indicate an error per se.

>--------above-----------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
>
>Below is my .cshrc file -
>
>--------below-----------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
>
># C-shell environment variable definitions for the user 'mcidas'
>
># umask
>umask 002
>
># MCHOME and McINST_ROOT
>setenv MCHOME $HOME
>setenv McINST_ROOT $MCHOME
>
># NOTE: conditional definition is only needed for C-shell users
>if ( ! ${?MCPATH} ) then
>  setenv MCDATA $MCHOME/workdata
>  setenv MCPATH ${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help
>  setenv MCGUI  $MCHOME/bin
>  setenv MCTABLE_READ "${MCDATA}/MCTABLE.TXT;$MCHOME/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>  setenv MCTABLE_WRITE "$MCHOME/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>  setenv XCD_disp_file $MCDATA/DECOSTAT.DAT
>  if ( ! ${?path} ) then
>    set path=$MCGUI
>  else
>    set path=(${MCGUI} $path)
>  endif
>endif
>
># Limit ADDE transfers to compressed ones
>setenv MCCOMPRESS TRUE
>
>setenv CC gcc
>setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
>setenv CFLAGS -O
>setenv FC g77
>setenv FFLAGS "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic"
>setenv cxx
>
>--------above-----------------------------------------------------------------
> --

OK, I think I see the problem.  You should change the last line:

setenv cxx

to:

setenv CXX

The configure script in the netCDF portion of the build uses the
environment variables to determine which parts of the package to
build.  Specifying CXX as nothing tells configure to not build the C++
interface to the netCDF.  This is what you want since it is not used
for McIDAS anyway.

>I tried running mcidas anyway to see what errors I get...and the GUI
>freezes, MCGUI gives me the error  -
>
>Error in startup script: couldn't read file
>"/home/mcidas/mcidas2002/tcl/lib/tk8.0/xmfbox.tcl" no such file or
>directory 8.0/xmfbox.tcl": no such file or directory
>        while executing
>"source $McINST_ROOT/tcl/lib/tk$tk_version/xmfbox.tcl"
>        (file "/home/mcidas/mcidas2002/src/mcgui.k" line 120)

This indicates that installation is not complete.

>I was wondering if maybe you had a solution to these problems?

I would do the following:

1) correct the CXX entry in your .cshrc file

2) either logoff and then log back on to make the .cshrc file changes
   active, or 'source .cshrc'

3) cd mcidas2002/netcdf
   make distclean

4) cd ~/mcidas2002/src
   make mcx VENDOR=-g77

   This should rebuild the netCDF portion of the distribution (and relink
   a bunch of routines).

   make install.mcxall

   Hopefully, the installation will now complete.

>And one last question...do you have to run the LDM to access data from
>an ADDE server?

No.  The ADDE access only requires that you know the name of ADDE servers,
the ADDE group names of datasets on those servers, and the servers allowing
you access.  Most Unidata sites, on the other hand, run an LDM to get
realtime data and XCD to decode that data into McIDAS-compatible formats.

>Thanks!

No worries.