20020731: Data sets - 69760

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

>So what are other universities doing to keep old data sets for research
>and have them be easily accessed?

Copying a set of files that form a case study into a directory and saving
the directory contents to whatever backup medium is at hand (e.g., tape,
cd, etc.).

>Or is no one doing this?

People are "rolling their own".  One site has put extensive sets of data
out on a Mass Storage System (MSS) that gets mounted when any one of
the files in the datasets gets referenced for access.  I'll have to admit
that most folks look to others for archived datasets.

Tom