20020819: McIDAS-X 2002 installation

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Dave,

>Found some problems when testing McIDAS2002 before installation.
>
>First, when I first ran mcidasx, I got an error message stating that
>xmfbox.tcl could not be found.  mcgui.k was looking in the wrong path
>for the file.  Can't figure out why as the makefile looks ok.  I changed
>the mcgui.k file by hand to source xmfbox.tcl from the correct path and
>that seemed to fix the problem.

I need to update the web pages to instruct users that have existing
.mcidasrc files that try to start the MCGUI to edit those files and comment
out the line.  That is to say:

change:

-c MCGUI

to:

# -c MCGUI

The failure is caused by the Tcl/Tk application that runs the MCGUI
actions, mcwish, expecting Tcl/Tk libraries and support files to be in
a specific location.  This location is "burned into" when it is built.
The files it needs are not there at the point of running the tests
since they havn't been installed yet.  We ran into this one during the
recently held McIDAS workshop.

>Now the only other problem I have is when I try to add a map to the topo map
>in panel 9.  The topo map is displayed properly in panel 9, but 'MAP H PAN=9'
>does not work.  FYI  The  earlier 'MAP USA PRO=MERC PAN=5' command worked
>fine.

The solution to this problem was the same as I outlined above.  The
autostart of the MCGUI from ~/.mcidasrc must be commented out.  After
doing that, all of the pre-install tests ran correctly in the
workshop.

>What do think??

After undoing the editing change you made in mcgui.k, please try the
above and let me know your results.

BTW, I noticed that you downloade the first v2002 addendum on August 15.
Hopefully, you unpacked that to update your distribution.

Tom