20021008: Questions about ADDE Servers, etc..

>From: "Paul L. Sirvatka" <address@hidden>

Hi Paul,

>1. Should we upgrade our McIDAS from 7.804 to 2002?

I would recommend that you do, but since I will be adding some more code
mods to an addendum after I get back to Boulder (I'm in Madison, WI at the
moment), you may want to wait for a few days.

>2. If so will we need to backup any scripts or graphics-level tables,
>etc...?

If you have _any_ scripts or BATCH files that have the same name
as files in the Unidata McIDAS distribution (and in the same directory
as in the Unidata McIDAS distribution), you need to back them up before
doing an install.

>3. Will that include all the decoders or can we get the decoders
>seperately?

The ldm-mcidas decoders are a separate package.  The McIDAS-XCD decoders
are part of Unidata McIDAS-X.

>4. In the past we have been grabbing sat. images from someone else's ADDE
>server...then running a batch file to create images. Should we ingest
>these files off the ldm ourselves and kick off the image-creating batch
>files automatically via ldm?

If you have enough bandwidth into your site, you should probably consider
getting the files with the LDM.  If not, don't.

>5. If we do this, do you want up to become an ADDE serving site?

If you do ingest the NOAAPORT images, I would love for you to offer
users access to them through an ADDE server.  There is not requirement for
this, but it does help out the community, so it would be welcomed.  Thanks
for asking!

Tom