20021017: Setting up LDM for McIDAS-XCD (cont.)

>From: Richard Massa <address@hidden>

Richard,

re: under manned
>I understand completely...

Thanks.

re: DSSERVE listing tells mapping between dataset and actual files
>Thanks for this...  I should have realized it myself :)

You have to get used to McIDAS to remember things like this.

re: inheriting McIDAS installation

>This is a vanilla installation for the most part...  I did however copy some
>files from the mcidas20002/src directory to the data directory, but just the
>ones ending in .k, because it didn't look like they were completely installed.

Hmm...  This should never be necessary.  The install objects in the
makefile (install.mcx, install.xcd, or install.all) use the McINST_ROOT
environment variable to know where to put things.

>My guess is that this is probably a symptom of the same problem...

Yes, I think so.

re: combining directories 'cause your life will be easier

>Will do.

>From address@hidden Thu Oct 17 18:01:24 2002

>question... how do I change where the xcd_run puts its stuff... is that just
>the XCDDATA variable that I set with the te.k script?  I don't see anything in
>the xcd_run file in ~ldm/decoders...

I think you are really asking what determines where the XCD decoders write
their output.  This is done with two diffent settings:

REDIRECTions defined in LOCAL.NAM (if those REDIRECTions are made active
by restoring them:

<create LOCAL.NAM from EXAMPLE.NAM and edit LOCAL.NAM to specify where files
should be found (for reading and writing)>
cd ~mcidas/workdata
redirect.k REST LOCAL.NAM      <- this creates the file LWPATH.NAM and this
                                  file is what is used from this point on
                                  for REDIRECTion definitions

The second part is the defining of XCDDATA with the TE command and then
running two XCD configuration BATCH files:

cd ~mcidas/workdata
te.k XCDDATA \"<directory
batck.k XCD.BAT
batch.k XCDDEC.BAT

If you are moving directories, you MUST repeat the above steps!

>From address@hidden Thu Oct 17 18:02:57 2002

>Nevermind that last question, I'll change the other paths in the pqact.conf
>file.

This will affect the locations for the files created with the ldm-mcidas
decoders only.  You have to muck with file REDIRECTions and the XCDDATA
step I listed above to get the XCD stuff to work correctly.

I have got to leave now.  I will check in on things tomorrow moring.

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Oct 17 18:46:30 2002

I believe that it's happy now, the current date is showing up on the window
even though no data is present yet... it turns out that somehow SYSKEY.TAB was
zero file size...  But I did the reinstall and all anyways, as well as the
switchover.  both decoders should be placing everything under
/a/data/ldm/mcidas.

Thanks again!
Richard