20021024: McIDAS-X installation at CTA/IAE (cont.)

>From: Daniel Vila <address@hidden>

Hi Daniel,

(I was in meetings all day yesterday)

re: McIDAS environment settings in place when REDIRECT REST LOCAL.NAM doesn't
work

>I'm using a csh. I copy the file 'mcidas_env.csh' inside my '.cshrc' file.
>The output of env command is the following. Everything looks fine...

>-----------
>PWD=/home/mcidas
>MCGUI=/home/mcidas/bin
>HOSTNAME=aca101.aca.iae.cta.br
>MCHOME=/home/mcidas
>MCPATH=/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
>XCD_disp_file=/home/mcidas/workdata/DECOSTAT.DAT
>MCTABLE_WRITE=/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
>MCDATA=/home/mcidas/workdata
>McINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas
>HOME=/home/mcidas
>PATH=/usr/lib/qt2/bin:/usr/lib/qt2/bin:/home/mcidas/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11
> R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/bin:/home/mcidas/bin
> :/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/local/bin
>MCTABLE_READ=/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
>MCCOMPRESS=TRUE
>
>--------------------------

These all look correct.

Assuming that you make the local copy of EXAMPLE.NAM in the /home/mcidas/data
directory, your McIDAS session should have been able to find the file.

Please try the following:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
dmap.k LOCAL.NAM

Does this say that the file is found or not (please send the output)?
If yes, then

redirect.k REST LOCAL.NAM

should work with no problems.  If not, we need to figure out why it is
not working.  LOCAL.NAM correctly created in /home/mcidas/data should
be found by McIDAS by virtue of the MCPATH you have defined:

MCPATH=/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help

The purpose of MCPATH is to tell McIDAS routines a sequence of
directories to search when looking for data and ancillary data files.
/home/mcidas/data is the second directory in your MCPATH, so
/home/mcidas/data/LOCAL.NAM should have been found.  This is an
important issue.  If the MCPATH definition is not being used correctly,
we need to figure out why and correct the problem before moving on.

On a subject related to the satellite imagery that you want to use from
GFSC, you mentioned that you have a Fortran program (that you compiled
with g77) that you can use to extract the image values from the
original TIFF file.  Can you provide me the source code you have for
doing this?  I am interested in using that code along with some other
to create a McIDAS application that takes a GSFC as input the TIFF
satellite image file and the goes.nav file and outputs a McIDAS AREA
file.  Such an application would be all that you need to get going, and
I could contribute it back to the McIDAS community.

Tom