20021028: Setting up LDM for McIDAS-XCD (cont.)

>From: Richard Massa <address@hidden>

Rich,

>So now everything was running fine for a few days, and then I come in this
>weekend and it appeared as if dmsyn.k had crashed.

This makes it sound like it wasn't running.  It should be restarted by
the XCD supervisor routine startxcd.k.

>I stopped and started the
>ldm, and things appeared to work normally for a while, but now I'm having
>problems with my same plot/contour test case.
>
>Here's some PTLIST output:
>
>PTLIST RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY FORM=FILE ALL
>
>Pos      Description                        Schema  NRows NCols Proj# Created
> DataDa>
>------   --------------------------------   ------  ----- ----- ----- -------
> ------>
>1   SAO/METAR data for   28 OCT 2002   ISFC       72  6500     0 2002301 20023
> 01
>10   SAO/METAR data for   27 OCT 2002   ISFC       72  6500     0 2002301 2002
> 300
>PTLIST: Done

OK, so you have two days of data.

>So even though there is data listed,

The PTLIST command you ran shows that there are files for two days.  It
doesn't say what data is in the files.  For instance, if you only received
a little surface (SAO/METAR) data, there may not be any for the time
and region you tried to plot.

>no data is plotted on the map when run it.

Presumably, you were plotting from the MCGUI.  If so, this was asking for a
plot of current data.  If your data ingest was running significantly behind,
you would not get a plot.  The MCGUI plot widget allows you to specify
the hour for the plot.  I would try selecting the previous hour (and previous,
and previous to that, etc.) to see if you have data for those hours and
see what happens.

>Another clue:  The only change to how you/we left it is that I modified
>entries in mcscour.sh to retain data longer:
>
>qrtmdg.k GRID 5001 6400 10
>doqtl.k  1  70 10
>doqtl.k 71  80 10
>doqtl.k 81  90 10
>doqtl.k 91 100 10
>delwxt.k 1 10

Two things here:

1) keeping 10 days of GRID data means that you will be using about 65 GB
   of your disk for model data.  That is a LOT of disk!

2) the number of days of MD data should always be less than or equal to 9

>Since it seemed the data sets started anew yesterday, should I have set some
>of those entries to 9 as opposed to 10?

Change all of the doqtl.k lines from 10 days to nine.  Be aware that this
also uses quite a bit of disk.

>Again, thanks for all your help with this.

No worries.

Tom