20021029: how to dynamically generate McIDAS images in website (cont.)

>From: Sridharareddy Duggireddy <address@hidden>

Sridhara and Shelly,

After playing around for a bit on metlab, I have come up with a sequence
of scripts (based on the ones that Jim Koermer sent you) that allow
a user to generate satellite image displays for GOES-East and GOES-West
GINI satellite images (none of which exist locally at USF).

Check out:

http://metlab.usf.edu/sridhara/koermer.html

The calling sequence is virtually identical to what Jim Koermer sent
you previously as is the content of the scripts.

Calling sequence:

http://metlab.usf.edu/sridhara/koermer.html

  |__ calls /cgi-bin/gen_mcidas_sat.cgi

      |__ calls /cgi-bin/gen_mcidas_sat.csh

          |__ calls /htdocs/sridhara/mcidas/bin/mk_mcsat

Modifications to Jim's code:

o I did modify Jim's top level HTML file to include the full ADDE dataset
  name instead of just the descriptor.

o I also removed the section where he adds a Plymouth State logo to each
  GIF (you will probably want to continue on with what Jim did to
  personalize your displays; also a mention of Unidata wouldn't hurt :-)

o I added the addition of an appropriate BAR on top of each image

o I tried to add some comments to the code so it is easier to read

o I cited Jim's help at the bottom of the koermer.html web page

File Locations:

o mk_mcsat is stored in the sridhara/mcidas/bin directory

o Output GIF (tm) files are stored in the sridhara/mcidas/gifs directory

o the McIDAS working directory for the user running the web server (nobody)
  is sridhara/mcidas/data

Notes:

The sridhara/mcidas/* directories are owned by nobody and have group
nobody.  This was important!

Things left to be done:

o renaming scripts to what you want

o scouring of GIF files generated

o monitoring of how often the page is used

Please let me know if you run into anything you don't understand or doesn't
work.