20021107: McIDAS-X v2002 build on OSF/1 at Utah State

>From: "Dan A. Dansereau" <address@hidden>

Hi Dan,

>   I'm back again ( kind of like the sharks in jaws )

Just when I though it was safe to go into the water... :-)

>any
>way - you have probably notice a increase in activity on
>my account - and I'm back building a new & better database
>here at USU - BUT - I run into a problem with the Mcidas 2002
>( Rob G. suggest strongly that I go ahead an update to 2002
>since Tom told him he should on his side! )

Yes, I did recommend to Rob that he upgrade to v2002.

>1) has anybody reported problems with compiling the HDF parts
>   under TRU64/Dec Alpha ??

No, but, then again, there are only two sites using DEC Alphas for
McIDAS, and you are the first one that has tried to upgrade to v2002
(outside of me, that is).

>2) if so - do you have any quick work-a-rounds??

I built here at Unidata with no trouble when using the vendor
(Compaq/DEC) compilers.  I do have the following enviornment variables
defined in my Unix session before I build:

CC=/bin/cc
CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
CFLAGS=-O
FC=/bin/f77
FFLAGS=-O
CXX=

These follow the recommendations in the Notes and Warnings web document
that I provide for v2002:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/2002/mcx/warnings_mcx.html

even though that web page only mentions OSF/1 4.0.

Just to make sure, I cleaned out my McIDAS v2002 build source directory
and rebuilt on our OSF/1 machine from scratch.  I just watched the
build progress past the HDF portion, so I feel pretty confident that
there should be no systematic problem for OSF/1.

Relevant information on our system is:

Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (Rev. 1885)

/home/mcidas% cc -V
Compaq C V6.4-009 on Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (Rev. 1885)
Compiler Driver V6.4-008 (sys) cc Driver

/home/mcidas% f77 -version
Fortran:
        Compaq Fortran V5.4-1283
        Compaq Fortran Compiler V5.4-1283-46ABA

>3) If not - how much stuff do you want me to send you - or
>   do you want me to change the Makefile(s) and let you know
>   what I did? at this stage I'm pretty sure that the makefile
>   build somehow misses putting the name of the fortran compiler
>   in the correct spot.

I am not quite sure I understand this last comment.  The compiler
location is not used anywhere in the McIDAS 'makefile' or in the shell
script run from the McIDAS 'makefile', mccomp.sh.  I don't think that
it is used in the HDF Makefile(s) either.  If it is, however, it can
probably be overridden by the setting of the FC environment variable
like I showed above.  To try setting these environment variables on
your system, you must remember to clean out results of previous build
attemtps first:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas2002/src
make clobber

setenv CC /bin/cc
setenv CPPFLAGS -DNDEBUG
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC /bin/f77
setenv CXX

Since you are seeing a problem in the HDF portion of the distribution
(this is not suprising; this is the section of the build that is giving
me most of my problems), you should be able to clip out the error
messages spit out during that portion of the build and send them
along.

>Dan Dansereau
>Now with Information Technology at USU

Tom