20021108: updating climate.cod.edu to McIDAS v2002

>From:  "David B. Bukowski" <address@hidden>

Dave,

>I am assuming i run these
>Unidata McIDAS-X Installation Unpack Script, V2002x (mcinstall)
>Unidata McIDAS-X Distribution, V2002x (mcidasx2002.tar.Z)

You need to FTP the following to the HOME directory of the user 'mcidas':

mcinstall
mcinet2002.sh
mcidasx2002.tar.Z

The execute permission needs to be set on mcinstall after the transfer,
and then you unpack the v2002 distribution using it:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas
./mcinstall

>Unidata McIDAS-X Addendum Unpack Script, V2002 (mcunpack)

The mcidas2002/update directory that will exist after you unpack the
v2002 distribution using 'mcinstall' will contain the addendum unpack
script, mcunpack.

>and i guess i need the addendum
>Unidata McIDAS-X Addendum Source, V2002 (mcupdate.tar.Z)

No.  The distribution compressed tar file, mcidasx2002.tar.Z always
contains all addenda to the distribution.  The addendum file is made
available for sites that want to upgrade their existing v2002 installations
to the lastest bugfix/enhancements.

>will this remote server setup script be needed if the machine is gonna be
>only accessed by itself
>Unidata McIDAS-X ADDE Remote Server Setup Script, V2002 (mcinet2002.sh)
>[climate gets data from climate via ldm-decoders, and some other stuff via
>adde remote sites until we port those over to decoders]

No, but Paul has volunteered that COD could serve both the NEXRCOMP and
GINI imagery to other ADDE users.  If this offer still stands, then
the remote server needs to be setup.  By the way, the remote server
on climate is already setup, so this doesn't have to be done again
(unless you upgrade your OS).  Also, I pointed out to Paul that
remote ADDE access to climate was failing for compressed transfers.
The failure is being caused by the lack of the 'compress' utility in a
directory that will be searched by the remote ADDE server handler
application, mcserv.  The typical directory location for 'compress' on
Linux is /usr/bin.