20021113: ldm having issues starting up related to McIDAS-XCD (cont.)

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

re: check PATH
>[ aeolus : ldm : ~/logs ]
>[ 8 ] > echo $PATH
>/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/ldm/bin:/usr/lo
> cal/ldm/decoders:/usr/local/ldm-mcidas/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/
> openwin/bin:/opt/PGPcmdln:/opt/SUNWadm/bin:/usr/lib/nis:.
>
>[ aeolus : ldm : ~/logs ]
>[ 9 ] > which xcd_run
>/usr/local/ldm/decoders/xcd_run

Looks good.

re: start LDM as user 'ldm'
>Started ldmadmin as ldm

Good.

re: execute permissions on 'xcd_run'
>[ aeolus : ldm : ~/decoders ]
>[ 26 ] > ls -la xcd_run
>-rwxr-x---   1 ldm      vumcidas    6660 Sep 10 16:45 xcd_run

These look good.

re: MCGUI in xcd_run
>No instance of MCGUI found in xcd_run

Oops, this should be correct setting of MCHOME and inclusion of $MCHOME/bin
in the PATH defined in 'xcd_run'.

>Let's start with what we go so far.  Looks like the rest depends on what's
>above.

The above looks good.  Time to move onto the rest:

o the permissions on the McIDAS-XCD executables that 'xcd_run' tries
  to run.  This includes the following from the $MCHOME/bin directory:

  startxcd.k
  ingebin.k
  ingetext.k
  dmsfc.k
  dmsyn.k
  dmmisc.k
  dmraob.k
  dmgrid.k
  and others

o the permissions on the directories that XCD decoders want to write
  to have changes so that the user running the LDM no longer has write
  permission

o there are no inter process communication handles left on the system.
  This can be tested by running 'ipcs' from the account running the
  LDM.  If you end up with a _long_ list of ipc handles in use, it probably
  means that McIDAS processes run from the LDM startup have been exiting
  uncleanly and leaving those handles.  If this is the case, you can
  either reboot, or clean up all of the handles using the 'ipcrm -m'
  function.  Also, if this is the case, you should look in the .mctmp
  directory for the user running the LDM to see if there are lots of
  subdirectories there (their names will be ipc handle numbers).
  If you find these, you should remove all of them after removing the
  ipc handles and before attempting to restart the LDM

At one time I had the logon as 'ldm', but I don't anymore (I still have
the logon as 'mcidas').

Tom