20021127: Unidata gribdec.tar.Z bundle (cont.)

>From: "HOETH, BRIAN R. (JSC-ZS) (LM)" <address@hidden>

Brian,

>Well, I'm heading out for the holidays.

Slacker ;-)  Have a good one...

>I've attached the Mcmkmcgrid.c code that I modified.

OK, thanks.  I had already jumped on Mcmkmcgrid.c before getting this
note.  I incorporated your changes with mine in the ConvertLevel
routine.  I also made a modification in the ConvertForecast routine to
correct the cause of forecast hours > 256 not being decoded correctly
(as per your earlier note).

>I'll try to mess around with your other suggestions when I
>return next week.

I put a new gribdec.tar.Z file out in the unix/gribdec directory of
passworded FTP (for user 'umcidas') on our FTP server,
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.  This has all of your and my changes, so it
should be set to grab, build, and use.

>Take care!

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Nov 20 13:40:08 2002

Tom,

The strange part is, it actually doesn't appear to incorrectly decode ALL of
the 2.5 degree GRIB data.  It's just decoding improperly for forecast hours
beyond 252 hours (i.e. fcst hrs 264-384)?  For these hours, the majority of
the GRIB messages put a FHOUR that is exactly 256 hours less than what it's
supposed to be?  (Examples:  (1) for 384 hr fcst, the majority of the FHOURs
are 128, (2) for 264 hr fcst, the majority of the FHOURs are 8)

I will probably look into why this is happening when I have a chance to come
up for air and I will share with you what I find.  I just wanted to check
with you first in case you were aware of something.

How would I set up XCD to decode the 2.5 degree AVN stuff?  I assume I just
add an entry into RTMODELS.CFG?

Thanks,
Brian