20030131: McIDAS data (fwd)

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

>Is there a way to check on these items without booting up a workstation to
>get int McIDAS?

I logged onto aeolus to see what was up.  The problem I found was that the
MD files for the current day's data were actually ones from the 11th
of January.  It appears that what happened is that your McIDAS data
scouring stopped when the McIDAS programs became unexecutable (reference
previous email messages).  This left data files on disk with the names
of the ones that would be used for current data.  Since the McIDAS
decoders will write to the end of an existing MD file when it exists,
your newly decoded data was being written to the end of the files that
were full of old data.  Since the MD files have a fixed size beyond which
they can not grow, the newly decoded data was being thrown on the floor.

Given that the the files that were not being updated were for today,
Jan 31, the set of MD files that were full was: MDXX0001, MDXX0021,
MDXX0031, MDXX0041, MDXX0051, MDXX0061, MDXX0071, MDXX0081, MDXX0091.
The solution for your problem was to stop the LDM, delete these files,
and then restart the LDM:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
mdu.k DEL 1
mdu.k DEL 11
mdu.k DEL 21
mdu.k DEL 31
mdu.k DEL 41
mdu.k DEL 51
mdu.k DEL 61
mdu.k DEL 71
mdu.k DEL 81
mdu.k DEL 91

<back as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin start

After doing this, I now see current data in the MDXX00x1 files.  Of course,
all of the data that was received before doing the above is lost.

All of this reinforces the need to scour McIDAS MD files before they get
to be 10 days old.