McIDAS - Linux - Processing NEXRAD Level III Archived data

Institution: University of South Florida / Dept. of Geography
Package Version: 2002
Operating System: Linux
Hardware Information: Dell PC, Poweredge 2400 Server
Inquiry: Hi Tom,

I believe that you are the guru on archived data processing of a myriad
of image data types.  Could you, please, offer some advice on how to
process archived NEXRAD Level III data that is available from NCDC?

I am mainly interested in the precipitation totals.   I have data for
one station that I ftped from NCDC in a tarfile.  What do I need to do
for McIDAS to display the data?

Thanks much,
Arlene  Laing

>From: "Arlene Laing" <address@hidden>

Institution: USF
Package Version: 2002
Operating System: Linux Red Hat
Hardware Information: Dell PC
Inquiry: Tom,

Thanks for your help.  It worked.  See excerpt from session below.

Arlene

---------------
DSSERVE ADD RADRSOIL/N1P  NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/data/radarsoil/19980620/*N1P* "N1P MLB Storm Total Precip
19980620

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
RADRSOIL/N1P             IMAGE NEXR                  N1P MLB Storm Total Precip
                                                     19980620

DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/data/radarsoil/19980620/*N1P*
DSSERVE: done
IMGLIST RADRSOIL/N1P ID=MLB
Image file directory listing for:RADRSOIL/N1P
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
  16  RADAR         20 JUN 98171  23:56:00     MLB    5