20030316: is the 1x1 degree AVN GRIB decoder available?

>From: Owen Cooper <address@hidden>

Hi Owen,

>Last year we talked about the development of a GRIB decoder that would decode
>the 1x1 degree AVN (Now the NCEP Global Model) grib files into MCIDAS GRIDS.
>Below is some info. that you sent to me last year.

Right.

>Can you let me know the status of this tool?

It has been ready to go for quite some time.  To make sure that the
latest code mods are in the gribdec.tar.Z bundle, I just recut it.  You
can grab it from the unix/gribdec directory of passworded FTP on our
FTP server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu:

<login as 'mcidas'>
mkdir gribdec
cd gribdec

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> umicdas
  <pass> XXXXXX
  cd unix/gribdec
  binary
  get gribdec.tar.Z
  quit

tar xvf gribdec.tar.Z | tar xvf -

<set CC, CFLAGS, FC, and FLAGS to match the environment in which McIDAS
was built>

make

  -- or --

make VENDOR=-gcc if use gcc/f2c/mcfc

  -- or --

make VENDOR=-g77 if use gcc/g77

To run this from the McIDAS account, set your MCPATH to include the
directory in which you unpacked gribdec.tar.Z as the first directory in
MCPATH.  In the example above, this is /home/mcidas/gribdec, so you
would redefine MCPATH as follows (C shell syntax):

setenv MCPATH /home/mcidas/gribded:$MCPATH

At this point you should be able to run gribdec.k (decode GRIB messages
into a McIDAS GRID file) or grib2img.k (decode a GRIB message into an
image in McIDAS AREA file format).

>Thanks!

Please let me know if you have any questions on using gribdec.k or have
problems doing the build.

By the way, Johnson Space Center has been using the code for awhile
now, so it has been exercised.

Also, there was the issue/possibility of you getting the CONDUIT feed
via IDD.  We can get you setup if you want this (or portions of the
feed as it is a lot of data (1.2 - 1.8 GB/hour)).

Later...

Tom