20030331: Getting error "Program terminated, segmentation violation"

>From: Sridharareddy Duggireddy <address@hidden>

Hi Sridhara,

>I am Sridhara. I am working as a Graduate Assistant under Dr.Arlene
>Laing, University of South Florida. I was trying to display a loop of
>previous Radar images. The Images are displayed correctly but I was
>getting the error "program terminated, segmentation violation".
>May I know why it is coming?

I don't have enough information for me to know what is causing this.

>The Html link is http://metlab.cas.usf.edu/sridhara/radar2.html

I went to this web page and am able to display the most recent and all
of the previous images.  I was under the impression that you are
generating a set of images and then combining them into an animaged GIF
(tm) for display.  Is the creation of the set of images done when a
user clicks on the 'loop of images' button, or are each of the 9
previous images available and waiting?  If clicking on the 'loop of
images' button initiates the creation of the animated GIF from existing
individual GIFs, then the problem must be in the script that creates
the animated GIF.  If clicking on 'loop of images' causes the creation
of 10 GIFs which are then combined into an animation, then it is
possible that the segmentation violation is coming from the McIDAS
routine creating the individual GIFs.

The strange thing I noticed was that if I go to the page that plots
previous images, plot an image, and then hit the back button on my
browser, I get the segmentation violation message in the display.  This
seems to be telling me that the problem is not in a McIDAS routine
(like IMGDISP), but, is in the CGI script that is running.

Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support