20030409: McIDAS error message on startup (cont.)

>From: "Anderson, Alan C. " <address@hidden>

Hi Alan,

>Made the changes you noted below and everything works
>fine now.  Guess I was careless when I created the
>data directories.

OK.

>My questions for today are:
>
>1.  After starting McIDAS, and selecting the Image Load icon on
>    the MCGUI screen,  the small Image Load window appears, but
>    then vanishes as I move my cursor from the Image Icon to the
>    small Image Load window to finish my selection.

I have never experienced this sort of failure before.

>    I noted that the same 'disappearing' window effect when
>    choosing the Point Source icon on the GUI.

Sounds like a Tcl/Tk related thing.

>    Only solution I have found is to select the desired Icon
>    on the GUI,  then wait  several seconds before moving the
>    cursor to the small window.  Usually this works, but
>    the required waiting time seems variable.
>
>    Any ideas ?

No, I would have to experience this one to get any ideas.  Again,
I have never seen anything like this.  To experience this, I will
need to be back at the UPC so I can login from a machine running
X Windows (I am using a Windows PC at the moment through a wireless
connection at the Internet-2 conference; sweet).

>2.  I noticed we do not have any Goes East images today, and
>    recall a message a few days ago that Goes East (G8)
>    was being replaced by a new satellite, Goes 12.

Yes, it was replaced back on April 1.  If you could look at GOES-East
images after April 1, then the changeover had nothing to do with this
failure.  Also, you can see that other systems you have ADDE access
to do have current GOES-East data:

<login to cyclone as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
dataloc.k ADD RTIMAGES papagayo.unl.edu
imglist.k RTIMAGES/GE-IR.ALL

Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GE-IR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  11:15:00    23   71 4
   2  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  12:15:00    23   71 4
   3  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  13:15:00    23   71 4
   4  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  14:15:00    23   71 4
   5  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  15:15:00    23   71 4
   6  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  16:15:00    23   71 4
   7  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  17:15:00    23   71 4
   8  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  18:15:00    23   71 4
   9  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  19:15:00    23   71 4
  10  G-12 IMG       9 APR 03099  20:15:00    23   71 4
imglist.k: done

So, something peculiar must be happening on waldo.  I tried to get on
waldo both from laraine.unidata.ucar.edu and from
cyclone.stcloudstate.edu using telnet, ssh, and rlogin.  Nothing
worked, so I am not able to snoop around to see what may be wrong.

>    I do not recall seeing that we needed to make any changes
>    on our terminals, but perhaps I missed something.

There were no announcements about needed changes _unless_ you are
filing the images using GEMPAK-like actions in your LDM pattern-action
file, ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf.  If you are using this (and the more I think
about this, the more likely the possibility seems), then you do
need to make a mod to pqact.conf on waldo.  Here is the note that
Chiz sent out to several email lists concerning the change:

If you obtained the ldm-mcidas decoders package, the pnga2area pattern
sugested:

# WV (6.8 um)
MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q1 (U[^ACXY1]) (.*) (.*)_IMG (6.8)um (.*) (........) (....)

The above pattern should be changed to

MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q1 (U[^ACXY1]) (.*) (.*)_IMG (6..)um (.*) (........) (....)

The change is in the wavelength mentioned in the pattern.  The GOES-12
water vapor wavelength is 6.5 um not 6.8.  Steve's suggested mod allows
for 6.x, so it would be good to change.

Since you have now loaded ssh, it would probably be OK for you to open
up ssh access to all of your machines to Unidata machines.  This way,
we could jump on and fix things up without much delay.  Just a thought...

>Not sure
>    if I have that email any more,  will go back and check.
>
>    Do I need to reconfigure something ?

Steve's mod was only for WV, so I can't account for why the other
images are not being received.  You need to logon to waldo as 'ldm'
and review the request for UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS) data; make sure that
your upstream host has the data:

notifyme -vxl- -o 3600 -f UNIWISC -h your_upstream_host_name

make sure that your pqact.conf action is OK; and also check the log
file to see if there is some sort of specific problem.

>Thanks

Sorry for the hassles.

Tom