20030423: new IP at ATMOS.UPRM.EDU

>From:  "Carlos U Pabon-Ortiz" <address@hidden>

Hi Carlos,

>    !Hola! I am replacing Dr Amos Winter as Head of the Office of
>Climatology, at the Univ of PR at Mayaguez, while he is on assignment
>at the NSF, Washington DC. He provided me with your email address.

I am glad to meet you!

>    He mentioned your name as the person who installed the UniData Sfwr
>on our server.
>    The LINUX server has a new IP number,    136.145.162.245  .
>
>    We are having problems with receiving and showing the McIDAS images
>and information we used to show at our web page,  atmos.uprm.edu .
>Do you think that the new IP might be related to the malfunctioning
>of the software to retrieve / communicate ?

I logged onto this machine a couple of minutes ago and found that
the LDM was not running.  I decided to take this opportunity to upgrade
atmos to the latest Unidata LDM release, LDM-6.0.10.  I did this by
installing a binary distribution that was created on a RedHat 7.3
Linux machine here at Unidata, but I am hopeful that there will be
no conflicts with that version and the one you are running, Slackware
7.1.0.  At the moment, there doesn't seem to be.  atmos is once
again ingesting and processing data.

Since your McIDAS distribution is now pretty old (it is three revisions
back), I decided that it would be a good idea to try and upgrade it
to the current Unidata release.  The problem with this is that the
development environment on atmos is broken.  In case someone there
can take a look, here is the failure that I am seeing:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.3/libg2c.a(main.o): In function `main
':
main.o(.text+0x27): undefined reference to `atexit'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I will try to figure out what is wrong with the development environment,
but it would be good for someone there to take a look also.