20030618: importing and contouring data on GOES imagery (cont.)

>From: Owen Cooper <address@hidden>

Hi Owen,

>This looks awesome, and I will give it  a try very soon.

Cool.

>Next week I will post near real-time GOES-east and Meteosat IR images on
>the web and will overlay the carbon monoxide data from the FLEXPART
>model.

So, if 'FLEXPART' is a model, does it have output in grib format?
If yes, then the _much_ easier way to get the data into McIDAS format
is to run the grib decoder, gribdec.k.  Please let me know if the
model data is in grib format, and if you would like a step-by-step
guide for downloading the gribdec.tar.Z bundle and building the standalone
decoder.  It is easy to do and even easier to run.  The output will
be a McIDAS GRID, which is a better match for the data you have anyway.

>As far as I know this will be the first realtime display of
>pollution plumes travelling across the Atlatntic and superimposed onto
>geostationary satellite data.

This is very cool!

>Once everything is working I'll send you the URL so you can see the
>animations.

Excellent.

By the way, if the data is in grib format, you can use the routine
grib2img.k to turn it into an image; use gribdec.k to decode it into
a GRID; and even codisplay satellite images and CO images using
the IMGOLAY or FRMOLAY applications in Unidata McIDAS.

>Thanks!

Please let me know if the FLEXPART data is, in fact, available in GRIB
format.

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Jun 20 13:07:25 2003

Hi Tom,

No, the FLEXPART data are not output in GRIB format, but it looks like
the TXT2MD method will work.

However, if you can look at the TXT2GRID command from SSEC and see if
you can get it to work for UNIDATA Mcidas that would be great.
I really think that overlaying model ouput onto Mcidas imagery is going
to become a routine operation for me and perhaps for many other folks,
as visualizing pollution plume contours on top of IR imagery is the best
way to understand long-range transport of pollutants.

Owen