20030702: Unidata McIDAS installation and configuration

>From: Dalin Zhang <address@hidden>

Da-Lin,

>We would like to install the newest version of McIdas. Could you please
>give us instructions as to how to install it? Our system manager, Mr. Dave
>Yanuk, will contact you in case of any problem.

The latest distribution of Unidata McIDAS is best downloaded by first
registering as a Unidata user though our web portal:

my.unidata.ucar.edu

Once you have registered as a user, you will be granted access to
the distribution compressed tar file through the Downloads section
of the portal.  If you have any problems with this, please let me know.

The details of installating and configurating McIDAS is more than
can easily be conferred in one email.  Our web portal has an entire
section on McIDAS, and this contains detailed, step-by-step instructions
for installing and configuring the package:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/software/content/mcidas/index.html

The Installation and Configuration web pages can be found under:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2002/mcidas-x.html

Our Inquiry tracking system can also be searched for problems that
may be encountered and their solutions:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghmcidas.html

Finally, specific questions about problems encountered or items in
the installation procedure should be sent back to Unidata User
Support.

One last note.  A new version of Unidata McIDAS-X, Version 2003 is
being prepared for release in mid-July.

>Thank you for your assistance,

No worries.

> ---
> Da-Lin Zhang, Professor
> Department of Meteorology                  Telephone: (301) 405-2018
> 2419 Computer & Space Science Building     Fax:       (301) 314-9482
> University of Maryland                     Email: address@hidden
> College Park, Maryland 20742-2425          http://www.meto.umd.edu/~dalin/

Tom Yoksas