20030728: GOES Sounder profile MD data files

>From: Melanie Wetzel <address@hidden>

Hi Melanie,

>Hi, I recently had an email communication with Jaime Daniels from NOAA,
>where I was asking if there were GOES sounding profiles (retrieved
>temperature and humidty vs height) available.  Would you please read
>this reply and let me know if you think I should be able to do this
>DATALOC procedure from using the LDM-MCIDAS setup on my PC, if I also
>set up ADDE correctly (or in a certain way)?

One quick point of clarification, LDM-MCIDAS is a pacakge of decoders
for image products in the Unidata-Wisconsin (IDD feed type UNIWISC aka
MCIDAS).  The McIDAS DATALOC command tells your McIDAS session which
machine to go to when trying to access the dataset you name in the
DATALOC invocation.

Also, when you say "on my PC", I am assuming that you have a PC running
Solaris x86, Linux, or FreeBSD and that you have installed Unidata
McIDAS-X on it.  Please let me know if this is not the case.

I started a McIDAS-X session and ran this command with no problems:

DATALOC ADD ORA 140.90.105.32

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
ORA                          140.90.105.32

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

>    This points to our server where we have these data served up
>
>DSINFO POINT ORA
>
>    This will list the dataset names of the McIDAS MD files on our
>server. You will see a number of datasets  listed, but the one (GOES-W
>real-time soundings)  you want is:
>
>GWSNDINGSX      24    GOES-W Soundings      -FPDT

I ran the DSINFO command with no problems:

DSINFO POINT ORA

        Dataset Names of Type: POINT in Group: ORA

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
GWSNDINGSX      24    GOES-W Soundings      -FPDT

DSINFO -- done

>There are 24 positions in this dataset, one for each hour
>(1=1Z,2=2Z..23=23Z, 24=24Z)
>
>Once you've run DATALOC, you will have access. Then you can run McIDAS
>commands, PTLIST and PTDISP to list and/or display its contents. These
>are not the NESDIS operational generated products, but are the GOES
>sounding products we generate here in ORA. These are generated from
>experimental code which will be implemented later this year into
>operations. Basic retrieval algorithm is the same.... the data files
>contain good quality products and they are almost always there.

I was able to list out the elements of the ORA/GWSNDINGSX using PTLIST:

PTLIST ORA/GWSNDINGSX FORM=FILE ALL
Pos      Description                        Schema  NRows NCols Proj# Created
DataDate
------   --------------------------------   ------  ----- ----- ----- -------
--------
     1   Subsampled GRET MD file 2003204    GRET        1 *****     0 2003204