20030730: McIDAS hangs on Redhat 9.0 (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>I have installed a new kernel and video card driver and I still can't get
>this to work. Again, the same error happens:
>
>mcidas >crap
>Error in startup script: Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for
>"green4"
>Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "blue4"
>Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "magenta4"
>Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "cyan4"
>Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "red4"
>Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "yellow4"
>    while executing
>"close $fhandle"
>    (procedure "startMcidas" line 34)
>    invoked from within
>"startMcidas $optn"
>    ("0" arm line 2)
>    invoked from within
>"switch $nargs {
>      0 {
>         startMcidas $optn}
>      1 {
>          if { !([string match "config*"  $optn] ||
>                 [string ma..."
>    (file "/home/mcidas/bin/mcidas" line 659)

This shows that the MCGUI can not get the colors it needs and so it
won't start.

>"mcidas config" gives me the same errors no matter how I try to start
>McIDAS. I don't know what program is taking up these colors, and I don't
>know how to find out which one is.

It must be Gnome.

>I mean...it's not using anything my
>other machines aren't using. I'm confused.

Since you are not running anything else, it must be Gnome or something
in the desktop.  Try reconfiguring the window manager to use less/different
colors.  For how that is done, you know as much or more about RH 9 than
I do.

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Jul 30 11:38:23 2003

re: It must be Gnome.

It must be...a bad driver and bad Redhat for not recognizing it. I'm going
to see if I can let them know about this. By increasing the colors to
millions instead of just 64, the resolution won't go any higher than
640x480...but then McIDAS works just fine!

> Since you are not running anything else, it must be Gnome or something
> in the desktop.  Try reconfiguring the window manager to use less/different
> colors.  For how that is done, you know as much or more about RH 9 than
> I do.

Yep. And that's what I get for questioning the programming skills of Tom
Yoksas. I'll go crawl into a hole now. ;-) Thanks again for helping me to
narrow this down!

E-mail: address@hidden                                               ***