20030905: McIDAS v2003 compile on Solaris SPARC 5.7 using gcc/g77

>From: Tim Alberta <address@hidden>

Tim,

re: build failure on gizmo

>I'm tempted to move /usr/ucb/cc and make a gcc link.  But if this wrong
>path is showing up, the flags are probably wrong too...

I logged onto gizmo this morning, wiped out the previous v2003 build
attempt (rm -rf ~mcidas/mcidas2003), regrabbed the v2003 compressed
tar file, and redid the build.  It failed in exactly the same place
for the exact same reason (/usr/ucb/cc was attempted to be used to
build Zlib).  In order to get things working, I edited the Zlib
Makefile (~mcidas/mcidas2003/zlib/Makefile) to change CC=cc to CC=gcc.
I then continued the build from the failure point:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src
make VENDOR=-g77

and it completed with no additional errors.  I then installed the
distribution:

make install.mcxall VENDOR=-g77

In order for users to be able to use this distribution, they will need
to setup their McIDAS environment variables to use things from the
installation point, ~mcidas/mcidas03.  We can talk about this the middle
of next week if you like.

>Thanks for your help,

No worries.

>From address@hidden Fri Sep  5 17:51:12 2003

>Looks like the makefile in mcidas2003/zlib didn't feel like complying
>with the environment variables: CC=cc.

Right.

>I may try wiping it clean (moving mcidas2003 to 2003x or something) and
>trying it again from scratch... We'll see.  No huge deadlines for
>getting this done.

I did just this as per my comments above.

>Enjoy your retreat...

Thanks!

Tom