20031020: KDE under Linux?

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Hi Robert,

>It has been a known issue for some time (known at Unidata at least)
>that McIDAS-X image window doesn't pop-up under KDE.  I perused the
>support e-mail list and don't see a resolution.

There has not been a resolution to this problem.

>We use KDE here at
>Universal because GNOME will only start a manager on the first screen
>and ignores the other two screens, and we find KDE more stable.   Has
>there been any more news or tricks on getting it to work under KDE?

No, but I can tell you that I have setup a number of machines to run in
KDE and have been successful.  At the same time, I have set up a number
of supposedly identical machines on which KDE worked on some and not on
others (a workshop setup).  The interesting thing is that mcimage
_does_ run and stays running, but the X window it is supposed to start
never materializes.  To me this means that the problem is very subtle,
and will probably look simple as soon as it is found.

>Thanks,

Good seeing you in Madison...

Tom