20031031: McIDAS Build Errors under Redhat 9

>From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <address@hidden>

Patrick,

>I'm trying to build McIDAS 2003 on a RedHat 9 system.  I am using gcc/g77
>compilers (or trying to), and hence have made VENDOR=-g77 change to the
>makefile.

OK.  You can do that, or you can specify the VENDOR use on the command line:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas2003/src
make all VENDOR=-g77
make install.all VENDOR=-g77

>I have set environment for netCDF as explained in documentation.

Just to make sure, these should look like:

# Defines needed for netCDF build using gcc/g77
setenv CC gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC g77
setenv FFLAGS "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic"
setenv CXX

>I don't understand errors I am getting, and have attached the makelog and
>the errors that I see on my terminal in file make.errors (which aren't in
>the makelog).  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

>I also have the
>Portland f90 compiler handy if that would work better.

The gcc/g77 combination of compilers should work fine.  I have not
built with the Portland Group f90 compiler, so I can't say what
kinks there might be if you try it.

>Has McIDAS 2003 even
>been built successfully on RH 9?

Yes, in fact we are using McIDAS-X v2003 built with gcc/g77 on RedHat
9.0 Linux systems in the current series of training workshops.

From the following snippit you sent in:

>Making `libjpeg.a' in /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf/hdf/jpeg
>make[5]: Entering directory `/home/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf/hdf/jpeg'
>DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran  -c -o jcapimin.o jcapimin.c
>make[5]: DNDEBUG: Command not found

It looks like the CC environment variable wasn't set.  What appears to be
happening is an attempt to compile jcapimin.o with no C compiler specified:

DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran  -c -o jcapimin.o jcapimin.c

instead of:

gcc DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran  -c -o jcapimin.o jcapimin.c

So, list out your environment and see if you have CC defined/defined correctly.
If you do, it may be the case that you started the build once without having
defined CC, etc., and then defined them later.

I would recommend that after you verify that CC, etc. is defined correctly
you do the following:

<as 'mcidas'>

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src
make clobber