20031117: Unidata McIDAS-X Version 2003 at NIU (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

I just got time to take a look at this inquiry...

>Get ready, this is weird.
>
>I tried to display ADDE satellite images GINEAST,WEST,COMP and it wouldn't
>go using ADDE.UCAR.EDU. Then I tried the other sites. They wouldn't work
>either.

I just logged onto weather3 and did the following all of which worked:

ssh address@hidden
cd workdata
mcenv

weather3-niu Mci-1> imglist.k GINIWEST/GW4KIR
Image file directory listing for:GINIWEST/GW4KIR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   9  G-10 IMG      18 NOV 03322  02:15:01    39  118 4
imglist.k: done

weather3-niu Mci-2> imgdisp.k GINIWEST/GW4KIR STA=KDEN
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 308480
IMGDISP: loaded frame  1
imgdisp.k: done

weather3-niu Mci-3> map.k H
MAP: Completed frame 1

weather3-niu Mci-4> frmsave.k 1 test.gif
Frame saved in /home/mcidas/workdata/test.gif

I copied the display that was created over to a machine here at Unidata
and stuck it in a directory where it can be seen through a web
browser:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/weather3_giniwest.gif

As you can see from the above, McIDAS on weather3 _is_ able to access
the GINI imagery on adde.ucar.edu and create GIF (tm) renditions of the
load.

>So, I tried surface/upper air data, etc. That all worked. Hmmmm.
>
>I then tried a *loop* of 4 satellite images, and BTW, I have been using
>the UNIDATA McGUI all along. That DID work fine!

If the display in the MCGUI works fine, it should elsewhere.  I
am concerned that I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do.

Does the following work:

1) start a McIDAS session with the MCGUI as the interface
2) select the GINIWEST dataset from the Display->Image dropdown
3) select the GW4KIR as the set of images to choose the latest from
4) display the image

Does the image display?

If no, try specifying a custom load and select KDEN as the center point
for the load.  Does it load then?

What I am thinking is that the Default load somehow has a point that
is not located in your image and such that no part of the image lies
within the display space represented by the frame.  In this
case, no image will be loaded.

>But, when you bring up or
>try to bring up a single image, it bombs every time. Ditto for my scripts.

Bombs?  Something actually dumps core or the like, or nothing gets displayed?

My example above shows that I was able to bring up a single image in a
frame and create a GIF file from it with no problem.  The steps I took
are the same sort of thing that one does in a Unix script or McIDAS
BATCH file to create displays, so you should be able to run your
scripts with no problems.

>Yet, it works fine on weather.admin.niu.edu. But wait, is that on McIDAS
>2003 yet? Hmmmm. Have we found a bug?

No bug as far as I can tell.

Tom