20031220: McIDAS Installiation

>From: address@hidden

Hi Adam,

>We have reciently purchased a new server so that our students will not
>have to use our decoder box as the application server also.  Basically,
>now we have a seperate decoder box and a seperate application box for
>the data.

Sounds good!

>The server is going to be here by the 5th of January.  I am in a time
>crunch as far as how long i have to get this box up and ready.  When i
>get the machine in i was hoping that someone could do the mcidas
>installiation for me since i am still not 100% sure how to configure it
>properly and i don't really have the time to figure it out.  When i get
>the machine in i will let you know, i was just tring to give you guys
>some heads up.

OK, I will be in a big time crush right around then, but I will
attempt to do the installation as soon as you let me know that the
machine is up, running, and on the net.

>Also, i read that the speed record for building mcidas was 5:37 in Rio
>right???

Well, it was.  The new speed record, by the same machine after being
upgraded to an AMD 2800+ processor, is 5:03.  The machine's system
disk is a UDMA-133 ATA; the compilers were GNU gcc/g77.

>I think this new machine may beat it.  The specs are below.  I was just
>curious if it would :-)
>
>Dual 3.06 Ghz Zeon w/1Mb L3 cache (not the cheaper 512K ones) :-)
>4 Gig RAM
>Main disk = UltraWide 320 SCSI @ 15,000 RPM

Since the limiting factor in a build is the disk, your machine has
a good chance of smoking the 5:03 figure.

>I guess we will see in a couple of weeks.

Yup.  We'll see...

>Thanks

Have a great holiday!

Tom