Re: 20040301: new ldm at stc cont

Hi Alan,

On Mar 1,  7:54pm, Unidata Support wrote:
> Subject: 20040301: new ldm at stc cont
> >From: "Anderson, Alan C. " <address@hidden>

> >Now I have another question regarding another new machine.   We just
> >received a  Sunfire dual processor server  with  2  SCSI disks  each
> >about  70 Gb.    I am not sure what the Ram is,  I think about   10
> >Gb.

The output of the following would be useful;

 /usr/sbin/prtdiag -v
 and the number of disks and disk sizes

> >What suggestions do  you  or others (Mike S. ?  ) have about how we
> >should  partition the disks and set up file systems.    In the past,
> >based on comments from Mike, I have just made one  large  file system
> >on  /  (except for  swap).     On  cyclone, which also has  2 disks,
> >I created the root  fs  on one disk  and  put  /var/data ...   on the
> >other.

On a data ingest or decode system, I'd keep the data on it's own filesystem.
Also, it depends if you want to do some software RAID?

> >The  OS  Solaris 9 is preinstalled,  but I suspect  the initial file
> >system set up is not what will serve us the best.    We will use this
> >machine like cyclone,  to serve data via ADDE  to our other terminals
> >and to  run  the McIDAS sessions for  a number of  SUNRAY terminals .
> >Our initial results  doing this on cyclone  have been  good.   The
> >SUNRAY terminals are a small client  device from Sun  and they display
> >sessions that are run on the server.

Some reconfiguration may be required.  Let me know how much space you
have and how much you want for data, if RAID is important at all, ...

mike