20040312: McIDAS problem at UPR (cont.)

>From: "Luis A. Lopez" <address@hidden>

Hi Luis,

>Thank you for your answer, I'll be working with Mcidas this weekend and
>I'll let you know what happened.

Sounds good.  I read email over the weekend, so please don't hesitate
to send in questions when you run into things.

>I don't remember if I told you, but
>the first problem that I'm getting is that Mcidas can't find
>'mcinst.tar' or 'mcinst.tar.Z', probably after following your
>instructions it will work fine.  Thanks again for your support.

Yes, you included this in your previous email.  The problem you ran
into is I moved away from SSEC's method of installing McIDAS since I
don't think that it provides needed flexibility.  I have users unpack
the distribution tar using the script 'mcinstall'; define needed Unix
environment variables; CD to the ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src directory; and
then run make specifying the VENDOR= setting on the make invocation
line if they are not using vendor-supplied compilers.  To me this makes
more sense than hiding the build process inside a script.