20040329: accessing ADDE datasets from s400 (cont.)

To: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>
Subject: 20040329: accessing ADDE datasets from s400 (cont.)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:39:46 -0700
From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Karthik,

>I did run the scour routine yesterday noon and once this morning.
>I ran this scour routine from a remote system.

Scour is supposed to be run out of 'ldm's cron.  Apparently, 'ldm's
crontab entries do not get run if its HOME directory (~ldm) is not
available.  Since all user's HOME directories at WMich are automounted
and auto unmounted, it appears that the data scouring may not work as
intended.

>On the server we were trying to view GOESEAST,

I just logged onto s400 as 'mcidas' and see that there is no DATALOC
setup for the machine that hosts the GOESEAST dataset.  In fact, there
are no DATALOCs setup at all.  DATALOCs were setup at one time, so this
represents something that has been changed/deleted.  I see that the
file that should hold the DATALOCs, /cutrim1/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
is empty.

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
dmap.k ADDESITE.TXT

PERM      SIZE LAST CHANGED FILENAME     DIRECTORY
- ---- --------- ------------ ------------ ---------
- -rwx         0 Mar 29 10:37 ADDESITE.TXT /cutrim1/mcidas/data
0 bytes in 1 files

Do you have any idea how this file came to be deleted?

I recreated the contents of ADDESITE.TXT by running the BATCH file that
sets up the defaults:

<still as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
batch.k LOCDATA.BAT

I can now see the ADDE server on the machine hosting GOESEAST data.
Also, I can load an image from the server, put a map on it, and save
the output as a GIF:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/goeseast_wmich.gif

>GOESWEST data thro the MCIdas.

There is no GOESWEST dataset that I know of.

>This were
>the ones that we were not able to view. This is when the server
>stopped functioning and probably, the scour routine was not
>completed then.

The GOESEAST dataset is hosted on a machine at the University
of Wisconsin, SSEC:

dataloc.k LIST GOESEAST
/cutrim1/mcidas/workdata> dataloc.k LIST GOESEAST

Group Name                    Server IP Address
- --------------------         ----------------------------------------
GOESEAST                     UNIDATA2.SSEC.WISC.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

The reason that you stopped being able to access the machine was
apparently that the file containing the ADDE DATALOC setup was deleted.

>The MC-Idas Problem:
>
>When we select the goes east data, and click display, then all that
>we see is the black screen on the image display region, but no
>image. Could it be any other setting ( some display properties )
>that needs to be changed?

See above.

>In the mail that i had sent you yesterday, i also needed help on
>displaying the Lightning data on the IDV.

This will be handled by one of the IDV guys.  Your inquiry from
yesterday was forwarded to them this morning.

Tom
- --
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support  <