20040414: Reading Water Vapor Data

>From: Kwang-Chung Eddie Harm <address@hidden>

Eddie,

>Can you please tell me how I can convert Water Vapor Data to ASCII format
>? (using mcidas command such as axform.k)

First, AXFORM depends on the image file being accessible locally.  It does
not use ADDE to access images from remote servers.

Next, the online help for AXFORM is reasonably complete.  To review
the online help form within a McIDAS session, type:

HELP AXFORM

in the McIDAS command and text window.

Here is the beginning of the online help:

AXFORM - Generates multiple files from an area
   AXFORM sarea file <keywords>
Parameters:
   sarea | digital area number
   file | output file; maximum of 100 characters; specify as a file name
          or a fully qualified path (directory and file name); do not
          include an extension with the file name; see the Remarks
       =ALL | all bands of sarea
   FLIp=YES | flip bytes; specify this keyword when the byte order on the
              destination system is the reverse of the source system,
              e.g., from a PC to a Unix workstation (def=NO)
   FORmat=I1 | output elements are 1 byte integers
         =I2 | output elements are 2 byte integers
         =I4 | output elements are 4 byte integers
   FTYpe=BIN  | binary files (as specified in FORMAT keyword) (def)
        =ASC  | ASCII text files (w/ 25I10 format)
        =BOTH | both file types
   MISs= | missing data value for .LAT/.LON extension files
           (def=65535 Hex FFFF)
   NAV=YES inc | produce .LAT/.LON data files with an element
                 increment; these files contain LAT/LON stored as
                 degrees*100 (2 bytes per element); the increment is the
                 the number of data elements associated with each LAT/LON
                 element (def=NO 1)
   UNIt=    | calibration units of output files (def=cal units of sarea)
       =ALL | all calibration units defined by sarea

So, since you want your water vapor data output in ASCII format, you
would have an invocation something like:

AXFORM 1234 myh2o BAND=3 FTY=ASC NAV=YES

This will create create 4 files in your current working directory:

myh2o.HDR   <- header information
myh2o.A01   <- data values
myh2o.ALT   <- latitudes
myh2o.ALN   <- longitudes