20040507: Compile McIDAS-X 2003 (cont.)

>From: Eirh-Yu Hsie <address@hidden>

Hi Hsie,

>The file size using the old and new ways are different:
>
>old:
>-rw-rw-r--    1 ldm      unidata   5403056 May  7 12:11 AREA0158
>rainbow:[73]% areaInfo /wrk/data6/mcidas/AREA0158
>/wrk/data6/mcidas/AREA0158
>IR_20040507_1745 GOES-12 4km
>

>new:
>-rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   4506256 May  7 12:11 IR_20040507_1745
>rainbow:[69]% areaInfo ./IR_20040507_1745
>./IR_20040507_1745
>IR_20040507_1745 GOES-12 4km

The entries in LSSERVE.BAT have nothing to do with how the data gets
decoded on the LDM side.  It is only used to configure the ADDE server
to know what data to serve and where that data can be found.

I can't explain why your two files are different sizes especially since
they appear to be for the exact same time.  One question I have,
however, is whether or not the two different files were produced
on two different systems.  I.e., is /wrk/data6/mcidas/AREA0158 being
created by the LDM on rainbow?  I think that it is being produced
on a different system (like one of your Sun boxes).  This doesn't
mean I think that they should be different sizes; they shouldn't.

>Is this normal. Are they using different compression scheme?

No, it is not normal.  The decoding of Unidata-Wisconsin images should
end up with uncompressed images of exactly the same size and content
no matter what system the decoder is running on.

This will take some more looking into, but I have a meeting at 1:30.