20040513: displaying Polar-Orbiting data in McIDAS

>From: Joe Barrett <address@hidden>

Hi Joe,

>I am having trouble obtaining/displaying polar-orbiting satellite imagery
>in McIDAS.  Using the "LEO" command, I am getting error messages
>containing "unable to resolve this dataset".  I think I need to add the
>group descriptors using the DATALOC command.  If that is the case, what
>group names and server addresses do I need to use?

You need to know the name of a machine running an ADDE server that has
polar orbiting data.  The only server I know of that is freely available
to any site is nanuk.eosdis.nasa.gov; this machine has Aqua/Terra MODIS
data.  Please note that it only supports uncompressed ADDE transfers.

Also, if you FSU has a relationship with NOAA, you can get access to
ADDE servers that have a full compliment of polar orbiter data.  I
can provide additional information if you would like to pursue this.

>P.S. On another earlier item, FSU is waiting on Quorum Communications to
>let us know what modifications they are making to raw GVAR data that they
>transmit to us.

OK.  Without knowing how the data looks on disk, the job of figuring
out how to make the Quorum data work with the McIDAS SDI ADDE servers
will be next to impossible.