20040521: ADDE transaction restriction by Dataset name or group

>From: Jerrold Robaidek <address@hidden>

Hi Jerry,

>I recall that a few years ago the folks at Unidata requested the
>ability to restrict ADDE access by dataset name (rather than all
>datasets on a machine.)  I also seem to recall you saying that
>Unidata was going to pursue this on its own since at that time
>this was not a very high priority for SSEC.

Right.  Our desire was even more restrictive, however.  I want
to be able to restrict datasets down to the descriptor level.  This
would allow blocking of remote access to things like Lightning data
which is a descriptor under RTPTSRC.

>Did Unidata pursue this?  Did Unidata ever solve this problem for
>themselves? ... is this in the Unidata version of McIDAS?

The ability is there in the ADDE servers I wrote.  I did not add
the ability to subrestrict in the primay ADDE servers.  The job
of adding the restriction ability should be straightforward, however.
Is there a general acknowledgement that this would be a welcome feature
now?

>Thanks for any information you can provide.

No worries.