20040604: McIDAS - IMGCOPY usage (cont.)

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Hi Karthik,

>Thanx for the immediate help.

No worries.

>I have ( as per your instructions, )
>did the image copy using the sequence of commands below:
>
>DSSERVE ADD GOES/MULTIBAND AREA DIRFILE=/cutrim1/mcidas/paper/*.area
> TYPE=IMAGE "Multibanded images FTPed from SSEC Data Center

OK.  Presumably you did not get any errors from this invocation?

>IMGLIST GOES/MULTIBAND.1 FORM=ALL

OK.

>When I lok at the listing, The last column that indicates the Band
>(s), shows a value of 1. Does it mean that the images have just a
>single band?

If all it shows is a '1', then yes, it should only contain 1 band, and
that band will be '1' which is VIS.

>I tried doing this with OES/MULTIBAND.2 and got similar results.

Sounds like you have single banded images.

>Then I proceeded to
>
>IMGCOPY GOES/MULTIBAND.1 MYDATA/IMAGES.2345 BAND=1 SIZE=SAME
>
>I used IMAGES.2345 because, There were files with .1234 ( Found
>using IMGLIST ).

Yes, and the results were?

>We need these resultant images to be viewed on IDV on our PCs. So
>where would the final files be stored for us to FTP them to our PCs?

The images will be written into the first writable directory in your
MCPATH.  If you were running the IMGCOPY commands from the 'mcidas'
account, and if the environment is setup correctly for 'mcidas', this
would be ~mcidas/workdata.  Given the somewhat strange setup on s400,
however, this might be /cutrim1/mcidas/workdata.  I really can't
remember how your account was setup, and I am unable to SSH to s400
right now, so I can't check the setup.

Here is what you do to find the images:

1) find out what MCPATH is defined as and look in the first directory
   defined in it

2) use the DMAP command to find out where AREA2345 is found:

   DMAP AREA2345

Both results should be the same.

>From address@hidden  Fri Jun  4 14:25:02 2004

>My apologies for a lot of typos in my previous mail.

No worries.

>In continuation to my previous Email, Dr Cutrim and myself tried the
>process once again.

>I have the all the data ( *.area files ) downloaded
>in /cutrim1/mcidas/paper folder.

OK, then your DSSERVE command should have been fine.  The fact that you
can use IMGLIST to list out information on the images you FTPed from
SSEC says that you setup the dataset correctly.

>I invoked mcidas, then opened the command mode of mcidas.
>These are the commands that We used

>1)
>DSSERVE ADD GOES/MULTIBAND AREA DIRFILE=/cutrim1/mcidas/paper/*.area
>TYPE=IMAGE "Multibanded images FTPed from SSEC Data Center

Your email ended here, and I don't know if you intended to include more.

So, the question back to you is if your only concern at this point is
the location of the output image files?  If yes, use 1) or 2) above to
find the output images.

The next observation is if the input images are single banded already,
they should be viewable in the IDV directly.  You shouldn't have to go
through the IMGCOPY step.  Having said that, I should add that if you
were creating the dataset in the 'mcidas' account, then you have done
all of the work that is necessary to serve the images through the
remote ADDE server that is already setup on s400.  What you should try
now is to tell the IDV to access the dataset GOES from
s400.wood.wmich.edu.  If the images are really single banded, and if
the setup was done in the 'mcidas' account, then you should be able to
access the images immediately.  Please let me know your results.