20040728: displaying GINI images in McIdas-X (cont.)

>From: David Ovens <address@hidden>

David,

>I tried the
>
> DSSERVE ADD MYDATA/GINI GINI TYPE=IMAGE
> DIRFILE=/home/disk/blizzard2/ovens/mcidas/gini/3.9* "4 km gini
>
>method but it failed with this error:
>
>  write sfe: [13] Permission denied
>  logical unit 21, name '/home/disk/data/mcidas/RESOLV.SRV'
>  lately: writing sequential formatted external IO
>
>I am doing this as myself, 'ovens', not 'mcidas'.

>Do I have to be 'mcidas'

Each McIDAS user can create his/her own server table.

The error you report implies that your MCPATH includes the
/home/disk/data/mcidas directory, and that a user other than yourself
created a RESOLV.SRV in that directory, AND you do not have write
permission for it.

What is the setting of MCPATH in your Unix login?

The recommendation is that the first directory in each non-'mcidas'
user's MCPATH be ~/mcidas/data.  This directory should be owned by you,
so it should be writable.

If you do have ~/mcidas/data as your first MCPATH directory, and if
it is writable by you, and McIDAS is still trying to write to
an existing copy of RESOLV.SRV in /home/disk/data/mcidas, then
do the following to force McIDAS to look for RESOLV.SRV in a
directory you have write permission to:

REDIRECT ADD RESOLV.SRV "/home/ovens/mcidas/data

(assuming that your HOME directory is /home/ovens; if it is not, adjust
the path you are specifying).  After setting this REDIRECTion, McIDAS
should look for (i.e., read and write) RESOLV.SRV in your ~/mcidas/data
directory, and so the DSSERVE command should work.

>or is there another way to do this with environment variables
>or something?

No.  DSSERVE is simply writing a file that is then read when a
local dataset needs to be defined/resolved.

>From address@hidden  Thu Jul 29 11:35:07 2004

re: REDIRECT ADD RESOLV.SRV "/home/ovens/mcidas/data

That REDIRECT fixed it!  And now I can display the GINI images,
hurray!  Thank you.

David
--
David Ovens              e-mail: address@hidden
Research Meteorologist    phone: (206) 685-8108