20040810: More trouble (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>Well, I just royally messed things up, and fixed them again. Here's what I
>found.
>
>chown -R ldm *
>
>Will recursively change everything from the directory you are in, and
>their subdirectories, to user ldm.

First, given the changes you have made to users' groups, I would make
sure to include the group in the chown directives:

chown -R ldm:users *

>chown -R ldm *.*
>
>Only does the directory you are in, AND misses links.
>
>chown -R ldm .*
>
>Changes everything in the master subdirectory you are in. If you are in
>"/var" and you do this, you're screwed.

Yup.

>Time to reinstall the OS!

I don't think you have to reinstall, but...

>Is this a bug?

I don't know.

Back to the question of how /home became owned by a user other than
'root'. I believe that this was the cause of all of the problems.

>From address@hidden  Tue Aug 10 13:17:47 2004

Hi Tom,

> First, given the changes you have made to users' groups, I would make
> sure to include the group in the chown directives:
>
> chown -R ldm:users *

OK.

> >chown -R ldm *.*
> >
> >Only does the directory you are in, AND misses links.
> >
> >chown -R ldm .*
> >
> >Changes everything in the master subdirectory you are in. If you are in
> >"/var" and you do this, you're screwed.
>
> Yup.

Now I understand.

> >Time to reinstall the OS!
>
> I don't think you have to reinstall, but...

Oh, I meant if one were to foolishly do that in the /var or other
"important" subdirectory.

> >Is this a bug?
>
> I don't know.
>
> Back to the question of how /home became owned by a user other than
> 'root'. I believe that this was the cause of all of the problems.

Ok. Well, I think everything is fixed now, and weather3 is now ingesting
data from the Internet instead of weather2. And weather2 is feeding
(mostly) off of weather3.

E-mail: address@hidden                                               ***