20040920: McIDAS in a new acct (cont.)

>From: mynul khan <address@hidden>

Mynul,

>As far as I understand mcidas has been installed
>perfecly because we have been using mcidas for last
>one month.

OK.

>I followed your instructions except
>reinstalling mcidas.

I am glad that you didn't reinstall, because that is definitely not
needed.

>I would appreciate if you could
>take a look in the new account and the "student"
>account from which you will be able to use mcidas
>without any problem.

I am able to get onto meteor as 'mcidas', but I don't have the
necessary password to become 'student'.  I also don't know the name of
the new account you created, but I suspect that it is 'tonyh'.  Is this
correct?

A quick look at the setup in the 'tonyh' account does not show anything
amiss.  Listing ~tonyh/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT shows that you have
correctly set this account to use the remote ADDE server on meteor.
Furthermore, the ADDE datasets are setup correctly in the 'mcidas'
account and access to them through the remote server seems to work with
no problems as 'mcidas'.  So, the only guess that I have at the moment
is that the PATH for the user 'tonyh' does not include the /bin
directory.  If this is the case, it will not be able to find the
'compress' and 'uncompress' utilities that are needed for ADDE
transfers when the environment variable MCCOMPRESS is set to TRUE as it
is in ~tonyh/.cshrc:

# C-shell environment variable definitions for a general user

# MCHOME - the HOME directory of the user 'mcidas'
setenv MCHOME /home/mcidas

# NOTE: conditional definition is needed for C-shell users
if ( ! ${?MCPATH} ) then
  setenv MCDATA $HOME/mcidas/data
  setenv MCPATH ${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help
  setenv MCGUI  $MCHOME/bin
  setenv MCTABLE_READ "$MCDATA/MCTABLE.TXT;$MCHOME/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
  setenv MCTABLE_WRITE "$MCDATA/MCTABLE.TXT"
  if ( ! ${?path} ) then
    set path=$MCGUI
  else
    set path=(${MCGUI} $path)
  endif
endif

# Limit ADDE transfers to compressed ones
setenv MCCOMPRESS TRUE
source /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.7.2p2/Gemenviron

If you can logon as 'tonyh' and see if you can find 'compress':

<as 'tonyh'>
which compress

it will tell us alot.  If which fails, the fix can be either of the
following two options:

- add /bin to the PATH of 'tonyh'

- edit ~tonyh/.cshrc and change:

setenv MCCOMPRESS TRUE

setenv MCCOMPRESS GZIP

The reason for the second change is that 'gzip' and 'gunzip' are now
built as part of McIDAS, so they can always be used.  The other reason
to make the change -- probably for all of your McIDAS users -- is that
the default port for the GZIP option is 112, and the intention is to
move away from use of ports 500 and 503 to 112 only.

If modifying PATH or changing MCCOMPRESS for the new user (again I am
assuming that this is 'tonyh') doesn't work, I will need to dig deeper
to find out why the account is not able to access data through the
remote ADDE server on meteor.  Can I get the password so I can see what
the indications are when trying to access data?

>Thanks

No worries.