20040907: McIDAS - SSEC's global montage

>From: "John Meyers" <address@hidden>

Hi John,

I found your email languising in our Support inbox.  I thought I had
sent you are reply before this, but I guess that it slipped through the
cracks.  I apologize for not getting back to you before now.

>Institution: Bowdoin College
>Package Version: 2004
>Operating System: Solaris8
>Hardware Information: SPARC
>Inquiry: SSEC produces a product on their website that they call the
>'global montage' and is a varient of the RTIMAGES/MOLL-IRTOPO product,
>using SST and Synoptic temperature data in place of the topography.
>It's a gorgeous product, and I am trying to start creating it locally.
>SSEC was kind enough to produce a powerpoint that explains how it's
>done:
>
>www.ssec.wisc.edu/mug/hot_topics/mugmtg/2002/presentations/ssec_product_genera
> tion.ppt
>
>The problem is that the instructions don't work and don't make sense.

I just went through Rick Kohrs PowerPoint (tm) "tutorial" on how
SSEC creates the Global Montage images, and I don't see anything
too strange.

>At one point they do an IMGFILT and then follow it up with an IMGOPER
>with a SCALE that is out of the bounds of the the previous IMGFILT.
>It's a bit hard to explain -- but try following their instructions and
>you will run into this and other problems.

Did you save the steps you took in a McIDAS BATCH file?  If yes, can you
send it along to see what may be happening?  Thanks.

>Finally, the enhancement
>table they claim comes with the distro, doesn't seem to exist.

I am not suprised by the enhancement not being included in the distribution.
I think that getting it from SSEC/Rick will not be hard; I will try to
get it and then add it to the Unidata McIDAS distribution.

>I think it would be worth it if these instructions can be corrected and
>posted for all.  It's quite a nice product.

The easiest way for me to proceed would be to get the work you have already
done and make modifications on it if/where needed.  I can then send you
back a working script that you should be able to use locally.

>Best Regards,

Again, I apologize for letting this slip this long.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas