20041207: McIDAS MAKEMAP command (cont.)

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

re: GEMPAK ASCII map file not read by MAKEMAP
> Here is the file.

I extracted the map file you sent (midamer.ssf) and had no problems turning
it into a McIDAS map file:

MAKEMAP midamer.ssf MULLENAX TYPE=GEM WEST=NEG DEV=CCC
MAKEMAP: Begin
MAKEMAP* input file pathname: /home/mcidas/workdata/midamer.ssf
MAKEMAP* output file name: MULLENAX
MAKEMAP* WEST POS/NEG: NEG
MAKEMAP* MAKEMAP: Read # of points in segment:  40
MAKEMAP* Read segment; #pts:  40
MAKEMAP* MAKEMAP: Read # of points in segment:  49
MAKEMAP* Read segment; #pts:  49
MAKEMAP* MAKEMAP: Read # of points in segment:  13
MAKEMAP* Read segment; #pts:  13
MAKEMAP* Read segment; #pts:  13
MAKEMAP: #segments written:  3
MAKEMAP: Done

To verify the integrity, I plotted the map segments on top of a
map of Iowa:

MAP IA
MAP: Completed frame 50

MAP X 4 FILE=MULLENAX
MAP: Completed frame 50

The map appears to be mostly Iowa, but has some portions that extend
beyond the Iowan borders.

Now, the question is why this did not work on your system(s)!?

Since I had no probem with the map creation, the output you sent along
previously:

  makemap.k midamer.ssf OUTMIDAM TYP=GEM West=NEG DEV=CCC
  MAKEMAP: Begin
  makemap.k* input file pathname: /usr/mcidas/workdata/midamer.ssf
  makemap.k* output file name: OUTMIDAM
  makemap.k* WEST POS/NEG: NEG
  makemap.k* Read segment; #pts:
  makemap.k: ERROR writing OUTMIDAM

make me think that the file /usr/mcidas/workdata/midamer.ssf was not
readable by the user running the 'makemap.k' command.  Could this
be the case?

>Thanks a bunch!

No worries.