20041212: wavelet decompression ADDE server code

>From:  "Valentijn Venus" <address@hidden>

Hi Valentijn,

>Tom, do you have the latest msg server code, i saw that the people at
>Winsconsin made the follwoing improvements (22 October):
>
>*      updated MSG servers to allow multi-band requests in IMGCOPY [12597]
>*      added EUMETSAT's suggested MSG visible calibration fix [12672]

The 12597 inquiry mods are included in the current Unidata McIDAS distribution.

The 12672 inquiry mod was included in the SSEC v2004a addendum, but
it has not been included in the Unidata distribution (yet).

I just read the inquiry (from Marianne Koenig to SSEC/MUG), and the
modification is trivial, add one line in kbxmsg.dlm.

At line 151 of ~mcidas/mcidas2004/kbxmsg.dlm you should find the line:

XTEMP = ( REAL(ITEMP) * GAIN ) + OFFSET

Change this to:

XTEMP = ( REAL(ITEMP) * GAIN ) + OFFSET
IF (XTEMP.LT.0.0) XTEMP = 0.0

After making the editing change, rebuild McIDAS using:

<as 'mcidas'>

cd mcidas2004/src
make                          <- using vendor-supplied compilers
 -- or --
make VENDOR=-g77              <- using gcc/g77 on systems where this
                                 combination is not 'vendor' (e.g., Sun,
                                 HP-UX, IRIX, OSF/1).

If you are on a system like Linux, typing 'make' or 'make VENDOR=-g77'
are equivalent.

After the rebuild, reinstall the binaries:

make install.bin

ftp://ftp.itc.nl/pub/venus/xRITDecompress.zip

>This archive contains the source-code for the xRITDecompress tool. The tool
>can be build under Windows and Linux (see build instructionsinn included
>readme.txt).

Thanks for the update.  I just FTPed the file and will take a look
as soon as I can.

>Just to complicate matters, but yet more challenging!, first a few details of
>my setup. The compressed files are stored on a Windows share (NTFS), which
>needles to say doesn't allow symbolic references to a Linux formatted drive.

Right.  You can access the Windows shared drive using Samba, can't you?

>i can add an additional drive or RAM-drive to my ADDE server (Fedora distro)
>that could temporarily contain the uncompressed output from
>xRITDecompress tool, and also the prologue and epilogue files that come
>with the Meteosat-8 wavelet compressed files, which i believe are neeeded
>for McIDAS to make a listing of available images in that ADDE group.

OK.

>However, once the user tells McIDAS to get and load a certain scene from
>that listing, the xRITDecompress tool should be triggered to read the
>associated XRIT-compressed files from the Windows share, and output
>the uncompressed data to the local (RAM) drive where also the prologue and
>epilogue files reside. McIDAS should then be 'fooled' in believing it is
>shouldn't try to read the data too fast, to allow the xRITDecompress tool
>to complete its tasks to avoid possible timing issues.

This sounds complicated.  I will have to work my through the procedure/data
before being able to make an intelligent comment.

>Example data you can find at

>http://www.eumetsat.de/en/dps/news/msg-1_rect_image.html#hrit

>under HRIT (unencrypted), and the wavelet compressed data in the
>above-referenced archive under \TestData.

OK, thanks for the pointer.

>We'll, that were my 2 cents. But i'm happy with any working alternative.
>
>I recall you told me once before, but could you send me the e-mail address
>of the person at Winsconsin responsible for granting access to GMS-5 ADDE
>data, since i have a Chinese PhD student coming over next week.

Sorry for the delay.