20050104: 20041229: questions on installing/using Windows XP version

>From: address@hidden

Hi Roz,

>thanks for the info.

No worries.

>I actually did get the Unix services for windows, as well as
>the Linux version of McIdas.  (I have a Linux OS on my laptop
>as well as windows XP)

OK, this sounds promising...

>My problem is this.  I have all my McIdas files on an external
>disk drive.  (The aren't area files, but, the are from the
>GOES Sounder...the type escapes me right now...anyway).
>I can see my files only from the windows OS, because the
>Linux OS doesn't recongnize the external disk.

Doesn't recognize the external disk in what sense?  I am wondering what
the connection to the external disk is (USB?).  Current versions of
Linux support access to a wide variety of differently formatted file
systems, so if your external drive is formatted for Windows, it is
likely that your Linux installation will be able to read the data.  The
question remains, however, how the external disk gets connected to your
machine.

>But, I
>can't make McIdas work, since I haven't installed the Unix services
>yet.

OK.

>I do have hummningbird as the X-Windows application on the windows
>side.

OK.

>I don't know anything about that...is it hard to install?

Hummingbird eXceed or Unix Serices for Windows?

>Will it
>wipe out the current OS, and other applications?  Or is it just llike
>installing any program?

If you mean Unix Services, it does not wipe out your OS.  Rather, it
installs like it is another application.

>It would be easy enough to make Mcidas work on the LInux side, but,
>I only have the standard fortran 77 compiler, and, I can't see my data.

I always use gcc/g77 to build McIDAS under Linux.  Do you have the need
for a different compiler like PGI Fortran?

>I'm in a dilemma...but, I think the solution is easy enough...
>probably just install the Unix thing...

Yup, that should work.  I am curious about your Linux install not being
able to see the external disk.  I think that this might warrant some
more investigation.

>So...that's where I'm at...and, nothing still works...

I understand.  We should be able to help you get going.  Please
elaborate on the external disk drive.

>thanks for your help.

No worries.