20050120: GeoTIFF output from McIDAS ADDE server

>From: address@hidden

Ying,

>I am planning to georeference the GOES data downloaded via LDM. Since
>the navigation block in area file is complex, it seems the easiest way
>is to use McIDAS. Until now, I installed McIDAS and is able to display
>the most recent GOES12 image in the image window.

OK.

>The questions are:
>
>1) How to make McIDAS output the image into GEOTIFF format, I can not
>find such option from the "save as..." menu

You will need to do this from the McIDAS command line.  The steps
are basically:

1) create an output ADDE dataset of type GEOT.  Here is the example
   mentioned in the online HELP for DSSERVE:

DSSERVE ADD GEOTIFF/GOES GEOT 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE "GeoTIFF GOES image files

2) use IMGREMAP to remap the desired source image into a destination
   GeoTIFF image that has a RECTilinear projection.  Here is the
   information included in the online help for DSSERVE:

************************  GeoTIFF Dataset Remarks  ***********************
   GeoTIFF images are similar to TIFF images, but include calibration and
   navigation information. They are used by the GIS community and can be
   viewed with ARCVIEW or other GIS software packages.

   You can create GeoTIFF image files from other TYPE=IMAGE datasets. To
   do so, make a GeoTIFF image dataset with a DSSERVE command similar to:
   DSSERVE ADD GEOTIFF/GOES GEOT 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE "GeoTIFF GOES image
   files. Then specify GEOTIFF/GOES as the destination dataset with a
   positive position number in an IMGCOPY, IMGFILT, IMGOPER or IMGREMAP
   command. If you use IMGCOPY, IMGFILT or IMGOPER, the source image must
   be in a rectilinear projection. If you use IMGREMAP, the source image
   can be in any projection, but you must specify PRO=RECT to make the
   destination GeoTIFF image a rectilinear projection. IMGFILT, IMGOPER,
   and IMGREMAP save the image with BRIT calibration. IMGCOPY can save it
   with other calibrations by using the UNIT keyword.

   The output file name consists of "TIFF" followed by the position
   number and extension ".tif". For example, the command
   IMGCOPY GOESEAST/VIS GEOTIFF/GOES.300 SIZE=ALL creates an output
   file named TIFF0300.tif that's mapped to position 300 of the
   dataset GEOTIFF/GOES.

3) assuming that you setup ADDE datasets for the GOES imagery
   you are ingesting using the IDD, you should have a dataset with
   group name RTIMAGES.  To verify this, run the following:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/workdata

dsinfo.k IMAGE RTIMAGES

   If you get a listing of types of images in the dataset RTIMAGES,
   you will be set to go.  If you do not, it most likely means that you
   have not setup the RTIMAGES dataset on your machine.  Please let
   me know if that is the case, and I can walk you through the setup
   process.

4) Create an output GeoTIFF image from some portion of an input GOES
   image.  Here is a simple example that creates a GeoTIFF image
   centered over Miami, Florida (station ID is KMIA) from the most recent
   GOES-East Visible image remapped into a RECTilinear projection whit
   resulting resolution of 4 km (the same as the input image) of
   size 800x800:

imgremap.k RTIMAGES/GE-VIS GEOTIFF/GOES.1 STA=KMIA PRO=RECT RES=4 SIZE=800 800

You should play with the center point, output size, output resolution,
output image type (e.g., VIS vs IR, etc.), and so on to get a feel for
how this works.

>2) Since what I want is the real-time georeferenced image, is it
>possible to let McIDAS automatically output the area file to such
>format, like GEOTIFF, as soon as the area file is avaiable on local
>machine?

Yes.  You can create an LDM pqact.conf action that will run a McIDAS
script that will do the remapping into RECTilinear projection in
an output ADDE GEOT dataset so that when a new image comes in, an
output GeoTIFF image will be created.

>Thanks a lot for your help!!

No worries.