20050331: WWDISP no longer plots severe wx (thundestorm/tornado) watches

>From: McIDAS Help Desk <address@hidden>

Hi Barry,

re:
>Ironic that your message came today, as I noticed yesterday that I was
>able to plot severe thunderstorm and tornado watch boxes with WWDISP,
>but was unable to list them with WWLIST because it couldn't find the
>product with the list of counties.

I think you meant to say that you were _not_ able to plot ...

>Todd and I were looking into the problem today, and he said that
>WWDISP/LIST use APRO=SLS for finding the counties. But for the watches
>from yesterday and today, there were no SLS products so all we could do
>is plot the boxes with WWDISP PLOT=BOX or NBOX (WWDISP PLOT=COUNTY and
>WWLIST didn't work). So that agrees with what you and your user reported
>below.

OK.

>Just this afternoon, I found that WOU products with header WOUS64 seem
>to have replaced the old SLS products. At least that's what I see when
>checking the SPC webpage. For example, go to
>http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0114.html and it lists the
>product with the box outline below the map. But if you click the "List
>of Counties in Watch 114 (WOU)" link near the top, it lists the WOUS64
>product with a list of counties for the watch. I checked the previous 10
>watches on the site, and they all used WOUS64 for their product with
>lists of counties.

I agree that the WOUS64 bulletins seem to have the information needed.

>So it looks like the 08 Nov 2004 NOAAPORT message you found is correct
>that we'll need to modify WWDISP/LIST to use the WOU messages for
>counties. Todd will do the additional investigation to find out if
>changing APRO=SLS to WMO=WOUS64 is sufficient in WWDISP/LIST and
>SEVERE_WX_WATCH_OUTLINE in WXCORE.PRD, or if it should be some other
>APRO/WMO.

I make a quick hack to wwdisp.c to see if using the WOUS64 bulletins
would work:

      /* <<<<< UPC test mod 20050331 >>>>> */

      if( strncmp ((const char *) &text_header[7], "SLS",  3) == 0 ||
         (strncmp ((const char *) &text_header[4], "WWUS", 4) == 0 &&
text_header[5
         (strncmp ((const char *) &text_header[4], "WOUS", 4) == 0 &&
text_header[5
         (strncmp ((const char *) &text_header[4], "WWUS", 4) == 0 &&
text_header[5
] == 9))
      {

Comments?