20050608: could not get the McIDAS shell programs (cont.)

>From: "Mekonnen Gebremichael" <address@hidden>

Hi Mekonnen,

>I have been enjoying your extremely important help and insight.

I'm glad that my responses have been helpful.

>(1) Whenever I used '.k' either with desserve or imglist, it says '...not
>found'. So I had to remove the '.k' part. Does this affect anything?

When I refer to a program name all in capitol letters, it implies
that the command is being run in a full McIDAS session.  When I refer
to the program name with a .k suffix, I am referring to running the
actual McIDAS program from the Unix shell command line:

IMGPROBE       <- as you would type in the McIDAS Text and Command window
imgprobe.k     <- as you would type from the Unix prompt

>(2) I got the outputs from both AXFORM and IMGPROBE.

Very good.

>My questions pertaining to this
>- how can I get the lat/long corresponding to each pixel? I mean I know the
>central coordinate (because I have to specify this), and I know the
>resolution (from the imglist description, 13.93 km by 13.93 km). Do I have
>to write a program that converts these lines/elements to latlong or is there
>a simple way to obtain a corresponding data of latlons?

In addition to dump out image values, AXFORM can dump out files of Lat and
Lon values.  Please look through the online help for AXFORM for more information
on what can be listed (i.e., run HELP AXFORM from the McIDAS Text and Command
Window, or 'help.k AXFORM' from the Unix command prompt).

>- what does each output block (output of IMGPROBE) represent?

The separate blocks are to be pieced together 'horizontally' so that the
number of colums equals the number of elements in the SIZE= keyword
specification (SIZE=lines elements).  Once you have pieced together the
number of blocks to give the correct number of elements, you start with
the next block as the left most chunk of the next section.  You continue
putting together the blocks 'horizontally' to give the next section.
The online and User Guide information on IMGPROBE have more detail.

>- What is the qualifier I need to add in the IMGPROBE statement to get the
>data in Kelvin?

You specify the 'unit' of the output in the third positional parameter
specified for the command:

   IMGPROBE option region unit <keywords>
      ^       ^      ^     ^       ^
      |       |      |     |       |__ zero or more keywords
      |       |      |     |__________ the 'unit' (e.g., BRIT, TEMP, etc.)
      |       |      |________________ the region (e.g., BOX, LINE, POINT)
      |       |_______________________ the output option (e.g., LIST, STAT,
etc).
      |_______________________________ command name

The outptu from 'HELP IMGPROBE' from the McIDAS Text and Command Window
looks like:

IMGPROBE -- Lists or plots digital data of a displayed image
   IMGPROBE option region unit <keywords>
Parameters:
   option | display option; choose LIST, STAT, CONT, HIST or PLOT; see
            Remarks for valid combinations of option and region parameters
           LIST - lists values on the text frame for data points in
                  specified region (def)
           STAT - lists statistical parameters on the text frame for
                  data points in specified region
           CONT - contours values of data points in specified region
           HIST - displays histogram of data points in specified region
           PLOT - plots values of data points in specified region; if
                  region is BOX or LINE, a line plot is drawn; if region
                  is POINT, the value of the data point is plotted
   region | type of region to cover; choose BOX, LINE or POINT; see
            Remarks for valid combinations of option and region parameters
           BOX   - data points in rectangle defined by cursor limits or
                   SIZE= keyword
           LINE  - data points along a line defined with the mouse
           POINT - data point at center of cursor's current position (def)
   unit | calibration units of output (def=BRIT, meaning greyscale
          brightness values between 0 and 255; all available
          units are listed when LIST POINT is requested)
   BANd= | image band from which to obtain data (def=band displayed
           on frame)
   EXClude=value1..valueN | image data values to exclude from the analysis;
                            specify numeric values and/or "SPACE", which
                            excludes the values of all points without
                            navigation; see the Remarks for information
                            about formats to use for entering multiple
                            numeric values; this keyword is valid only
                            with the STAT and HIST options
   IMA= | image frame displaying data to examine (def=current)
   OUTline=NO        | do not draw outline of region (def)
          =YES color | draws outline on current graphics frame in the
                       specified graphics color level (color def=3)
   SIZe=line ele | number of lines and elements defining a region centered
                   at the cursor position chosen with the BOX region; not
                   valid with the LINE or POINT regions (def=cursor size)
   SU= | stretch table name; use this keyword to examine modified
         brightness values that would be present if the image were
         displayed using the specified stretch table
         (def=stretch table currently applied to displayed image)
   WL= | obtain data from band with image wavelength closest to the
         specified value; valid only with high spectral resolution data,
         e.g., Aqua AIRS (def=wavelength of band displayed on frame)
   WN= | obtain data from band with image wave number closest to the
         specified value; valid only with high spectral resolution data,
         e.g., Aqua AIRS (def=wave number of band displayed on frame)
*******************  Keywords Valid with CONT Option  ********************
   CINt= | contour interval (def=computed)
   CLImit=min max | contour interval limits (def=computed)
   COLor= | graphics color level of contours, histogram or plot (def=3)
   DASh=YES | use dashed lines for contours (def=NO)
   GRA= | graphics frame to display information (def=current)
   LHGt= | height of contour labels, in pixels; specify 0 for no contour
           labels (def=6)
   LINT= | contour label interval (def=2, label every other contour)
   SMOoth= | contour smoothing; the range is 0 - 50, with larger numbers
             producing smoother contours (def=20)
**************  Keywords Valid with HIST and PLOT Options  ***************
   COLor= | graphics color level of contours, histogram or plot (def=3)
   EG=NO | does not erase graphics frame before plotting HIST BOX,
           HIST LINE, PLOT BOX, or PLOT LINE diagram (def=YES)
   GRA= | graphics frame to display information (def=current)
   LENgth= | length of each class interval for histogram option (def=1.0)
   PTYpe=DOT   | plots data as points
        =SOLID | plots data with connecting line segments (def)
   XRAnge=min max | range of values for x-axis
   YRAnge=min max | range of values for y-axis
*****************  Interactive and Batch Mode Keywords  ******************
   MODe=N | non-interactive "batch" mode; uses cursor's position and size
            at time command is run or LATLON= or LINELE= or STATION= with
            SIZE= to determine image region; not valid with LINE region
       =I | interactive mode; you can select multiple image regions
            using the right mouse button or Alt-G with commands like
            IMGPROBE LIST BOX, then press Alt-Q to quit (def)
            One may also press the center and right buttons to quit.
   DATaset= | name and position of ADDE dataset containing the image to
              read data from; specify as group/descriptor.position or
              alias.position; valid only when used with MODE=N, SIZE=, and
              LATLON=, LINELE=, or STATION=; not valid with CONT option,
              LINE region, or PLOT POINT combination (def=dataset and
              position of displayed image; if a different dataset is
              specified the default position is 0)
   ID= | NEXRAD station ID (e.g., MKX) of the desired image in the dataset
         specified in the DATASET keyword; this keyword is needed only
         with NEXRAD datasets
   LATlon=lat lon | POINT region latitude and longitude, or BOX region
                    latitude and longitude to place at location specified
                    in PLACE=; LATLON= is valid only with MODE=N and you
                    cannot use LATLON= with LINELE= or STATION=
                    (def=location of cursor on frame)
   LINele=line ele sys | POINT region line and element numbers and their
              coordinate system (F or I for file and image, respectively),
              or BOX region line,element,system to place at location
              specified in PLACE=; LINELE= is valid only with MODE=N and
              you cannot use LINELE= with LATLON= or STATION=
              (def=location of cursor on frame)
   STAtion= | station ID for the POINT region, or to place at the BOX
              region location specified in the PLACE keyword; specify as
              the ID, e.g., KMSN or YSSY, optionally followed by station
              type in brackets, e.g., ARX[N] or ARX[V]; STATION= is valid
              only with MODE=N and you cannot use STATION= with LATLON=
              or LINELE= (def=location of cursor on frame)
   PLAce= | location in BOX region to place the point specified in
            LATLON=, STATION= or LINELE=; valid options are ULEFT and
            CENTER for upper-left corner and center of the region,
            respectively (def=ULEFT when LINELE= is used, def=CENTER when
            LATLON= or STATION= is used)
Remarks:
   The following option/region parameter combinations are valid:
        Option   Valid Regions
        ------   -------------
        CONT     BOX
        LIST     BOX, LINE and POINT
        HIST     BOX and LINE
        PLOT     BOX, LINE and POINT
        STAT     BOX and LINE

   When using a BOX region, there must be less than 524,288 data points in
   the region. See the McIDAS User's Guide for details.

   If you specify a BOX or POINT region, MODE=N, and a dataset in DATASET=,
   then you must specify the location with LATLON=, LINELE= or STATION=.
   If it's a BOX region, you must also specify the region size with SIZE=.

   If you specify MODE=N but do not specify DATASET=, the cursor is moved
   to the location specified in LATLON=, LINELE=, or STATION=.

   You can enter numeric values in the EXCLUDE keyword using the list
   format (val1 val2 val3 etc.) and/or range format (x-yBn where x and y
   are the beginning and ending values, and n is the increment). If you
   don't specify an increment, all real numbers from x through y are
   excluded. For example, EXCLUDE=0 126-129 255 excludes 0, all values
   from 126 through 129, and 255; EXCLUDE=0 126-129B1 255 excludes 0, 126,
   127, 128, 129 and 255; EXCLUDE=0 126-130B2 255 excludes 0, 126, 128,
   130 and 255; EXCLUDE=-12--1 excludes all values from -12 through -1;
   EXCLUDE=150-140 excludes all values greater than 150 and all values
   less than 140.

>Thanks very much,

No worries.