20050615: Examples and Help!!! (cont.)

>From: "Asiel" <address@hidden>

Hi Asiel,

>Ok Tom Yoksas,
>Thanks you in responding my e-mail. You are corrected,
>Im reading terascan binary goes images to convert it
>in McIDAS format. Im not expert in terascan data format,
>but there is a friend who works with this data and he is
>helpping me in this job. I have already done a program
>That read McDIAS Goes image and converted it into Jpeg
>Format just to visualize it.

McIDAS has the capability of creating a JPEG format raster file from a
display already.  While Waldenio was visiting Boulder, I installed
McIDAS on a CPTEC machine so that folks there could get familiar with
its capabilities.  I can't remember the name of the machine at the
moment, so you will need to ask Waldenio where to find McIDAS.

>I think that is ok, but I
>Don?t known yet about the process of navigation of the
>This data. If you can help me in this process, it will be
>very usefull for us because the main objective is
>the same as you are doing, that is, convert Goes data image to
>Forecast.
>If its possible, I'd like to receive documents to familiarize
>me more with the McDIAS data.

The McIDAS Programmer's Manual:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/prog_man/

Should have the information you are looking for with respect
to the navigation in McIDAS AREA files.  The other documents to
look at are:

Unidata McIDAS HomePage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/index.html

  Documentation and Training
  Miscellaneous Documentation
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/miscdocs/misc_docs.html

    Description of AREA file format for GOES GVAR, GOES-7 and METEOSAT PDUS
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/miscdocs/area2.html

I must tell you that the navigation for GOES imagery is quite
complicated.  If TeraScan has the ability of creating a simple raster
file of a region of an image, then routines in McIDAS can turn it into
a valid AREA.  The McIDAS applications that would be used are MAKEAREA
and MAKNAV.  MAKEAREA would put the raster (the raster would be a
simple rectangular region with a fixed number of rows and columns of
image data) into an AREA, and then MAKNAV would add the navigation if
the projection is something it understands (Lambert conformal, pseudo
Mercator, Polar Stereographic, Rectilinear, Sinusoidal, Tanc, Mollweide
and NOAA Polar Orbiting).  So, as a simple test, if you can get
TeraScan to output a raster of a portion of an image in one of these
projections, McIDAS facililties can convert the raster into a valid
AREA file which could then be served by the ADDE server (which I
believe is the ultimate objective to this work)

>Thanks again,

No worries.

>From address@hidden  Thu Jun 16 07:27:41 2005

Hi Tom,
I´ll talk with waldenio and do the test
You are talking about. Ill contact you again
When I already done this tests and got some
Results.
Thanks again Tom,
AsielBomfinJR.