20050627: McIDAS ADDE Servers (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Hi Jim,

re: RTGINI vs GINICOMP, GINIEAST, and GINIWEST

>The nice thing about RTGINI was that you did not have to pre-determine what
>feed you needed in a script. You did one dataloc and all the GINI data was
>there. Now on my scripts, I'd also have to pass a flag to tell it whether to
>do dataloc for GINIEAST, GINIWEST, or GINICOMP, that is, unless to can just
>set up multiple feeds in a script--is that possible?

Two things here:

- you only have to do the DATALOC (dataloc.k) once. The information from
  the DATALOC ADD is stored in the file pointed to by the MCTABLE_WRITE
  environment variable that should be defined.  If MCTABLE_WRITE is
  not defined, it should default to $MCDATA/MCTABLE.TXT

- second, you can setup as many DATALOCs as you want and they will all
  be persistent.  The problem in your case would be that you would
  need to used different dataset groups depending on which sector you
  want to display.

I appreciate your comment about having RTGINI defined; this was my
original approach.  I moved to the segmenting to cut down on the list
of descriptors (e.g., GW1KVIS, GE4KIR, etc.) that would be presented to
a user of my McIDAS GUI.  Also, maintaining redundant sets of server
table entries for RTGINI and the portion of images that would be
included in the GINICOMP, GINIEAST, and GINIWEST datasets proved to be
a point where I could easily screw-up, so eliminating the redundancy
help eliminate errors.  This may not be that much of an issue anymore
since the NWS is not adding new image types to the NOAAPORT stream like
it used to.

I will look into writing a script that combines the GINICOMP, GINIEAST,
and GINIWEST defines in the McIDAS distribution to create entries
for RTGINI.  This should not be hard.

>My other question is which feed (if any) has the higher resolution Alaska,
>Hawaii,

Feed?  The Alaska and Hawaii GINI images are accessible through the
GINIWEST dataset.

>and Puerto Rico GINI sections?

Puerto Rico images are contained in the GINIEAST dataset.

>It probably would be wise to take pscwx off the ADDE list for now.

OK, Done.

>Brendon
>will be attending some of the workshops out there in a few weeks and probably
>after that will build a fairly complete ADDE server at Plymouth State on one
>of our new machines.

Sounds good.